VESA Unveils The Embedded DisplayPort 1.4a Specification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
    ? I have 1920x1200 on my 7 year old dell.
    4 year old MacBook Pro 15" -> 1440x900.

Comment

v1.4a already ?

Are even cards with DP v1.3 out yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        See, you and the other people in this thread are talking about higher-end laptops that you actively search out. ofc you're going to get higher res screens if you look for them.
        The unfortunate truth is that a solid 70+% of consumer laptops still use a 1366x768 resolution... even the ones with really good hardware otherwise.
        Show me a non high-end phone with higher than full hd resolution. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          Show me a non high-end phone with higher than full hd resolution.
          Using IDC's definition of high-end ($400+), mid-range ($200<$400) and low-end (<$200) you will find quite a few mid-range smartphones that have better than FullHD resolution. Also a growing number of low-end smartphones now have FullHD.

I think the most popular mid-range phone of this kind is the LG G3 D855, which can be had starting from $385 at Amazon. The others are mostly from Chinese white-box manufacturers.

Comment

Adaptive Sync sounds awesome! Both AMD and Nvidia could implement this into their products.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              See, you and the other people in this thread are talking about higher-end laptops that you actively search out. ofc you're going to get higher res screens if you look for them.
              The unfortunate truth is that a solid 70+% of consumer laptops still use a 1366x768 resolution... even the ones with really good hardware otherwise.
              Yep, and half of that is even a glaring mirror screen. I guess any Atom or Kabini is definitely capable of at least 16:10 1920 x 1200 (I know Kabini is). And that would help a lot of laptops. I wouldn't mind paying an additional 200 USD for this, preferably also IPS panel. 768 lines is so 486. And you have a hard time working with larger text on such a narrow screen.
              But hey, maybe the new specifications will move something in the panel and laptop OEM industry.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                I have a three year old ThinkPad T520 containing a 1920 x 1080 panel. Soon I'll be replacing it with a T550 containing a 2880 x 1620 (3K) panel. Seems not backwards to me. Although I wish Lenovo would use 4K instead.
                I think 3k is much better. On 15" screen, that hits exactly 192dpi, or 2x96. With pixel doubling that makes the natural DPI 96, just like most Linux, Windows and Web applications expect.

Comment

Article with more information about the new embedded displayport 1.4a standard.
                  http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ves...amd,28524.html

Adaptive Sync is sadly only an optional feature.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    Adaptive Sync sounds awesome! Both AMD and Nvidia could implement this into their products.
                    AMD calls it FreeSync but it's just the VESA spec, Nvidia however are clining to their propritary G-Sync crap and don't want to support the VESA spec.

Comment

The vesa spec is only out for a few days, you must be talking about AMD's solution.
                      Adaptive Sync is not freesync.

Also adaptive sync would allow viewing 24 or 25 fps video's on a 30/50/60/100/120/(everything higher than 24 or 25) Hz.
                      This would remove the need for all kinds of motion interpolation algorithms to make video's look smooth. A brilliantly simple solution to the problem of matching the video frame-rate to the screen refresh rate.
                      Just allowing the screen to adapt it's screen refresh rate to the playing video's native frame-rate dynamically is a brilliantly simple solution. Adaptive sync is guaranteed to give an exact, correct solution that is true to the source material. (Motion estimation algorithms are fundamentally fallible due to making mistakes, assumptions that are not guaranteed to hold. Not to mention their complexity and subtle errors created.) This is a quantum leap / revolution / breakthrough in video playing!
                      With adaptive sync you could play 24 of 25 fps video's on a 60Hz monitor with an image guaranteed to be correct.
                      Meaning guaranteed no framerate conversion artefacts.
                      Image is correct in terms of having no framerate conversion uncertainties, bugs, problems, inaccuracies.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...for-8k-scaling
                      Last edited by plonoma; 14 February 2015, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X