Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Standalone Linux Tests

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Standalone Linux Tests

In continuation of this morning's launch-day article for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, the graphics card that's priced at $200 USD and is built on the very power efficient Maxwell architecture, here's some more Linux benchmark results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So I looked at this and decided that since I need a new Graphics Card I would go and buy this one. But then I remembered that I live in Australia. Looking at one particular model of the card, the Asus Strix, revealed that it's an almost %50 price rise from the usual cost. From Newegg the base price is $209 USD. From PCCaseGear, and Australian seller, it was going to cost $349 AUD or ~$280 USD. Add in the shipping for all of this and it's easier to buy the card from Newegg and ship it over here. I hate price gouging.

Comment

Wow did not even know the card was released. The frame-rate in both metro redux games looks really good! Can't help to wonder how much the X99 platform contributed . What was the resolution for those tests?

I think the 960 will run circles around my 280X.

Comment

On Windows the 280X is most likely faster. But what I really want to see tested is HEVC decode 10 bit (4k) and HDMI 2.0.

Comment

Have the 660TI and a 4K monitor...

I currently have the 660TI, but am seriously considering the 960. The only problem I have with nVidia on Linux (in particular, Ubuntu 14.04) is the recent drivers don't work that well. There's an annoying problem on my rig where there's "flicker" in certain regions of the screen.

This problem still happens on the 346.35 driver, although not as badly as some of the previous versions. It does not occur at all on the 331.104 driver (which is what I always go back to after trying the "latest and greatest").

It's such a shame, because there is a noticable performance improvement in the latest drivers. I don't do that much gaming, but I love a fast and fluid desktop (with wobbly windows, of course) where things scroll smoothly in Firefox.

I hope the next version will solve this annoying "flicker bug".

Comment

Originally posted by a.turfer View Post
            I currently have the 660TI, but am seriously considering the 960. The only problem I have with nVidia on Linux (in particular, Ubuntu 14.04) is the recent drivers don't work that well. There's an annoying problem on my rig where there's "flicker" in certain regions of the screen.

This problem still happens on the 346.35 driver, although not as badly as some of the previous versions. It does not occur at all on the 331.104 driver (which is what I always go back to after trying the "latest and greatest").

It's such a shame, because there is a noticable performance improvement in the latest drivers. I don't do that much gaming, but I love a fast and fluid desktop (with wobbly windows, of course) where things scroll smoothly in Firefox.

I hope the next version will solve this annoying "flicker bug".
            Any new regarding flickering and Ubuntu 14.04? Have you tried using newer kernels, and oibaf repo for xorg/mesa stuff?

Also a total n00b question (Last time I did some gaming was like 15 years ago, and Intel graphics since of Sany Bridge is sufficient for all my needs except gaming, what I am maybe about to start doing again, a bit....), does it make sense to put this card on a bit older (no PCIe3 support) mainboard? I have Asrock Z68 Extreme4. CPU is still ok (i7-2600K) and I have 16 GB of RAM, so I think I should be covered from that side. Maybe I should go with something cheaper if I am anyway not able to squeeze out enough performance for this card to pays off?

Comment

Working...
            X