Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    Oh, you speak for all of us? I didn't know :-(
    For all of course, do we don't want any OpenGL support ? Some people may only want some alternatives additionally, but OpenGL included.

Why all the work for Wine and/or nine?
    Because some people wants additional non linux software playabile somehow, but which is never ideal like native software.
    Last edited by dungeon; 03 January 2015, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Is there at least one native linux game which use Direct3D? Is there any native linux game which use Mantle?

Zero.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Because some people wants additional non linux software playabile somehow, but which is never ideal like native software.
        What is funny is that often "native" is slower than wine+nine
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          What is funny is that often "native" is slower than wine+nine
          Faster does not mean better, in that case. It might be compiler diff, sound card diff access, anything... but in the end of story API too, for the native games. For wine/nine too, additionaly it might just missrender something and give you higher framerate, some performance even depends how wine is compiled, or do you use or not some native dlls, etc...

Even on Windows one same game or benchmark, if tested across Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 will likely have different performance... So Fedora/Debian/Arch/Ubuntu/Gentoo/etc. also likely have different performance.

And if you just change the GPU you use, all things again can be different

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            ... Some people may only want some alternatives additionally, but OpenGL included. ...
            Hopefully some day Mantle will replace OpenGL (OpenGL 5 will be Mantle).

Comment

(OpenGL 5 will be Mantle).
              Says who?

We all know that AMD has made all Mantle resources accessible to Khronos, but I'm pretty sure many changes will be done.

I do hope that OGL-next will be a stateless, concurrent API (like i think Mantle is supposed to be, but how could I know because AMD hasn't fucking published it).

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                Says who? ...
                Nobody.

I do hope that OGL-next will be Mantle.

Comment

Nobody.

I do hope that OGL-next will be Mantle.
                  I hope it will be much more secure than Mantle.

Comment

More cross platform game engines please.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: AMD Catalyst Linux OpenGL Driver Now Faster Than Windows Driver In Some Tests

Earlier this week I showed benchmarks of AMD's incredible year for their open-source Linux driver and how the open-source Radeon Gallium3D driver moved closer to performance parity with Catalyst. One of the lingering questions though is how does the Catalyst 14.12 Omega Linux driver from December compare to the latest Catalyst Windows driver? Here's some benchmarks looking at the latest open and closed-source drivers on Linux compared to the latest Catalyst Windows release.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21296
                    Both linux drivers loose out to win7 big time on the only game engine benchmark you are running.

Would be nice to see some more cross platform game engines, instead of these isolated theoretic ones. How about one of the dozens of id software games?

Comment

What I am most impressed with is the improvements in the OSS drivers. I remember benchmarks where the _best_ one was at 50% performance and the average was around 20%.

Comment

Working...
                      X