X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver for NVIDIA Geforce 210 for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32 bit

Hi,

Firstly I'm not a Linux guru.

Is there any hope to find a driver, for the graphics card as mentioned in the "Title" and the steps to install it?

Regards,

Nols Smit

I don't get your problem, Ubuntu only has nvidia 331 series in the repository and this would work with the card (via jockey). In the case it does not show a picture first try using the dvi connector instead of the hdmi port or vice versa.

Comment

Proposed entry level graphics cards for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32 bit on old Pentium IV

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I don't get your problem, Ubuntu only has nvidia 331 series in the repository and this would work with the card (via jockey). In the case it does not show a picture first try using the dvi connector instead of the hdmi port or vice versa.
      Ok, I get the message: "No hope to use this card".

Which inexpensive entry level graphics cards is recommended. It's for an older Pentium IV PC and it will not be used for games. A 40 inch TV is used as a monitor and the PC must connect via a HDMI port.

It must:
      • must be PCI Express compliant
      • Have a HDMI port

Regards,

Nols Smit

Comment

Well, just get Kanotix Spitfire Special, if your cpu has "lm" in
        Code:
        grep -o lm /proc/cpuinfo
        then get 64 bit, otherwise 32 bit from:

You can boot with "gfxdetect" option, that will give you nvidia binary out of the box. Problem solved.

Comment

I'm using this card right now and never had a problem with it. One monitor is on DVI and the other on HDMI.

Comment

I am not fully sure that he wants to do, does he want to BUY the card or does he have it yet. If he needs to buy it first it would be stupid, as it is a DX10 card which will not run with 343+ drivers. Only the PCI 3.0/OpenGL 4/DX11 cards (GF Fermi, GK Kepler) are supported by the latest drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              I am not fully sure that he wants to do, does he want to BUY the card or does he have it yet. If he needs to buy it first it would be stupid, as it is a DX10 card which will not run with 343+ drivers. Only the PCI 3.0/OpenGL 4/DX11 cards (GF Fermi, GK Kepler) are supported by the latest drivers.
              It's pretty obvious that he is just looking for the nvidia driver for Ubuntu 14.04 to run his PVR.

Comment

Well usually you can always use "nomodeset" option in case you don't see anything before you install any binary drivers or use a distro with full support.

Comment

I don't know what the problem is. I found the driver in less than 2 minutes:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/80647

Download it, drop to a VT (CTRL+ALT+F2 is how I do it), navigate to your download folder, run:

Code:
                  sudo apt-get install build-essential
                  sudo service lightdm stop
                  sudo pkill X
                  chmod +x [I]nameofnvidiadriver[/I]
                  then run:

Code:
                  sudo ./[I]nameofnvidiadriver[/I]
                  When it is done, simply run:

Code:
                  sudo reboot
                  And that is it. I always initially install my nvidia drivers like this, instead of going through a distro's package manager. It is not hard, though a little more work than going through the package manager, but it will work, and will prompt you to install the 32-bit libraries, as well. Always works for me, and the driver name is right there. If anything, you might find a PPA that will let you install that driver, but honestly, your distro's driver should work, simply because the 210 (in all of it's incarnations) is supported, even up to the newest driver, which is the link listed above.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Incorrect, the GeForce 210 is based on GT218, DX10.1 -> max driver possible is 340 series.

Comment

Working...
                    X