• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gilboa
    replied
    Originally posted by NatTuck View Post
    How's the multi-core support in CIV:BE?

I was playing Civ 5, and the turns were taking like five minutes. It was nicely pegging one core for AI. That's great, except I'm playing on a 24-core workstation. Will CIV:BE be any better?
    I feel your pain.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    I think someone who owns this game on Linux should take these benchmark results as an oppurtunity to report this FPS capping issue on high-end cards to Aspyr, Nvidia, and AMD bug reporting facilities.
    We don't know yet for sure what that difference is , until someone do benchmarks with the same config on both OSes .

If there is still much difference, then enable/disable in config starts until we figure out if/what holding it. Once we found what it is, that should be reported to both driver/game developers eventually

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    I think someone who owns this game on Linux should take these benchmark results as an opportunity to report this FPS capping issue with high-end cards to Aspyr, Nvidia, and AMD bug reporting facilities.
    Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 22 December 2014, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Same config works fine on Windows , so someone who has both Windows/Linux versions should benchmark it with that one at first, because well that make more sense:

http://paste.debian.net/plain/137755

Copy>Paste that in both Windows/Linux GraphicsSettings.ini config.
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 December 2014, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    There is clearly something wrong with game itself. Because it is limited on nVidia GPU too. http://boilingsteam.com/civilization...ower-on-linux/ Only difference is that AMD is capped to 33FPS and nVidia 55.
    Also blogger said, "Phoronix does not disclose anything but resolution" he can look in config there: http://openbenchmarking.org/innhold/...bde7a09a0be612
    [GraphicsSettings]
    OverlayLevel = 2
    ShadowLevel = 2
    ReflectionLevel = 0
    FOWLevel = 1
    TerrainWaterQuality = 0
    VFXQuality = 1
    FadeShadows = 0
    Enable Constant Rebasing = 1
    Enable Threaded Rendering = 1
    Enable Bloom = 1
    Enable UIBlur = 1
    Enable DoF = 1
    Version = 3
    Enable MGPU = 0

[ScreenSettings]
    MSAASamples = 1
    WaitForVSync = 0
    Refresh Rate = 0
    WindowResX = \$1
    WindowResY = \$2
    FullScreen = 1
    StereoConvergenceMin = 0.000000
    StereoConvergenceMax = 0.000000
    StereoCursorOffset = 0.000000
    ScreenShotWidth = 0
    ScreenShotHeight = 0
    DisableAdvancedAAModes = 0
    Version = 1

[TerrainSettings]
    TerrainDetailLevel = 2
    TerrainTessLevel = 2
    TerrainShadowQuality = 3
    TerrainPageinSpeedStill = 6
    TerrainPageinSpeedMoving = 3
    BlockOnLoad = 0
    AutoUpdateCells = 1
    Version = 1

[LeaderheadSettings]
    LeaderTextureReduction = 0
    LeaderTextureBackgroundLoad = 0
    AllowSM41 = 1
    AllowSM50 = 1
    AllowLeaderAA = 1
    EnableShadows = 1
    EnableSoftShadows = 1
    CubeShadowResolution = 1024
    MaxResidentScenes = -1
    LeaderQuality = 3
    SkinQuality = 2
    SkinResolution = 1024
    AspectAdjust = 0.000000
    TargetAspect = 1.777778
    EnableBloom = 1
    EnableDistortion = 1
    UseScreenShots = 0
    UseGPUDecompress = 1
    Now, where are those configs for Windows game benchmark settings, so we can compare?

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Did you notice that vendor specific driver optimisation (based on filename) could replace shaders by optimized ones? Something like that was tried for older source engine games (those which use the hl2 binary) but not for csgo - with limited success. But i don't think AMD will invest so much time for opimisations for 1% of their customers. But at least they should fix general problems.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    There is clearly something wrong with game itself. Because it is limited on nVidia GPU too. http://boilingsteam.com/civilization...ower-on-linux/ Only difference is that AMD is capped to 33FPS and nVidia 55.
    Yeah for sure, both are capped Someone needs to lower down these settings and enable one per one option more, so hopefully that way he can found what effect/settings actually holding it

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ardje
    replied
    Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    And we all know NVidia has it's own... quirks with the way it handles OpenGL and stuff so it's definitely no surprise that the game runs like shit on any other cards.
    One of those things is running gl shaders that are obviously coded wrong, and hence would emit a shader error on a correct implementation, but nvidia swallows it. And that leaves the status to: "It works on my nvidia card, something must be wrong with your setup".

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    It is hard to say you should stay with radeon oss when a game does not run. Kanotix has got a simple method to switch between binary and mesa drivers but i don't think that is so much fun to use AMD hardware for gaming.

The interesting thing about this game is the hard limit of about 50 fps for all newer AMD cards. As it is the same for a variety of cards, it can not be thruput related, only CPU bound is a weird assumption as well, most likely fglrx gets stuck in a lock between concurrent threads. Especially fglrx devs should look at it carefully, but I would not expect wonders between the years. They could fix a race condition for their integrated vaapi/xbva wrapper too.

After a look at the Nvidia benchmarks i would not say that this engine is heavyly optimized as well. There are only very few engines that are fully OpenGL optimizied, this one is not. I would like to see Rage or other ID games with full Linux support, those games did not even have got a D3D backend and should be simple to adopt to Linux, maybe just with differnet Video/Audio support, but that should not be critical.

AMD introduced mantle on Windows to get rid of CPU bottlenecks, this game could use mantle but where is the Linux variant? I understand that AMD wanted to create something that games run on slower CPUs better - well better: on cpus with bad single core performance like their own ones. But why on earth is the multithreaded performance so extremely bad then as they REALLY should use more than 1 thread for the driver - and thats on a much faster Intel CPU.

The Linux variant of Mantle is using best practices with OpenGL 4.x, but that can be hard unless the whole engine is made for batching everything like that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X