17-Way Linux Graphics Card Comparison With Civilization Beyond Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I understand that the AMD drivers are bad, but this game was so obviously micro-optimized for NVidia hardware it's not even funny. Did you all forget that they were willing to drop AMD/Intel support even??
    This is one of AMD's promotional games. They probably had all the connections in place to get themselves a good showing on Linux... if they wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      This is one of AMD's promotional games. They probably had all the connections in place to get themselves a good showing on Linux... if they wanted to.
      I think you are confusing the guys who developed the game with the ones who ported it.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        I think you are confusing the guys who developed the game with the ones who ported it.
        They're not completely detached entities. If AMD wanted a good showing, they could have had it. No sense in people blaming NVIDIA just because they showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          But why catalyst omega which has lower performance on almost all cards tested?
          Dunno which options works for the game, but i know windows version is pretty customizable i have around 30 fps @ 1920x1080 in this benchmark but on Wiindows with Mantle with low power Kabini, but of course with very low settings, even with that game still looks fine, etc...

It is probably one/few option/s which makes fglrx capped, so it is easy to found a culprit of performance on AMD, well if those options works in Linux version i dunno if they works . Set it on low/minimum and even lower some options i config file and then go up, just as genaral idea:

Last edited by dungeon; 21 December 2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Or on intel and amd integrated chips/APUs (with radeon driver even more) because of low bandwidth, it is always good advice (and not just for this game) to disable some/if not all those postprocesing effects: like aa, bloom, blur, dof, reflection, etc
            Last edited by dungeon; 21 December 2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              They're not completely detached entities.
              They sort of are.

If AMD wanted a good showing, they could have had it.
              That much is certainly true. It has nothing to do with the fact it's an AMD game on windows, though. You could say the same about any game.

No sense in people blaming NVIDIA just because they showed up.
              I hadn't heard anyone from NVidia helped port the game. I think Aspyr did it on their own, until they failed with the non-nvidia portion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                Michael,

Have you tested the Windows version of this game with the latest Windows Catalyst driver?

It would be interesting to see how the Linux versus Windows Catalyst drivers stack up with this game.
                That wouldn't actually be very interesting since I'm pretty sure the OpenGL rendering engine is only part of the Linux and Mac builds that were ported by Aspyr. The Windows engine uses DX11.

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
                  That wouldn't actually be very interesting since I'm pretty sure the OpenGL rendering engine is only part of the Linux and Mac builds that were ported by Aspyr. The Windows engine uses DX11.
                  Actually that will be good to see, since Windows game also can use Mantle on AMD GCN cards... thus AFAIK it is the only game with support for three entirely different APIs.

It would be better if Firaxis does OpenGL render too, not just D3D and Mantle ... and also if they provide 64bit binaries that would be all modern
                  Last edited by dungeon; 21 December 2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
                    And I think it would be interesting, as from the user's point of view, I don't really care if it's OpenGL, DX11 or Mantle. I just want to have good looking game with high fps. If on the same hardware the Windows version outperforms Linux port significantly, then the Linux version is nice to have, but useless feature. For example, I was waiting for the cs:go for linux, so I could finally get rid of the dual boot on my laptop and stick to linux only, but cs:go is simply unplayable for me on linux (with 25fps on linux vs 120fps on windows - I am not a masochist :P ).

Comment

Originally posted by faldżip View Post
                      And I think it would be interesting, as from the user's point of view, I don't really care if it's OpenGL, DX11 or Mantle. I just want to have good looking game with high fps. If on the same hardware the Windows version outperforms Linux port significantly, then the Linux version is nice to have, but useless feature. For example, I was waiting for the cs:go for linux, so I could finally get rid of the dual boot on my laptop and stick to linux only, but cs:go is simply unplayable for me on linux (with 25fps on linux vs 120fps on windows - I am not a masochist :P ).
                      It's just that then we'd be testing the quality of the port, not the drivers. In fact, the only meaningful comparison even for that would be to test nvidia/Linux against nvidia/windows. Then we'd at least have a best case reference point.

Comment

Working...
                      X