Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12-Way AMD Catalyst 14.12 vs. NVIDIA 346 Series Linux GPU Comparison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12-Way AMD Catalyst 14.12 vs. NVIDIA 346 Series Linux GPU Comparison

    Phoronix: 12-Way AMD Catalyst 14.12 vs. NVIDIA 346 Series Linux GPU Comparison

    With this week's release of the AMD Catalyst 14.12 driver that brings some Linux performance improvements (particularly for the Radeon R9 290 of the hardware we've tested thus far) and new features, here are some fresh benchmarks comparing twelve AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards when using the latest proprietary graphics drivers. On the AMD side was the Catalyst 14.12 Linux release while on the NVIDIA side was their new NVIDIA 346.22 Linux beta.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21241

  • #2
    Somehow the much more interesting source engine games like L4D2 (older engine) or CS:GO (latest) are missing...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Somehow the much more interesting source engine games like L4D2 (older engine) or CS:GO (latest) are missing...
      As said in the earlier article, with the latest CS:GO/TF2 on Steam, the automated time demo quit benchmarking is broken in the game... The demo just seems to continuously repeat itself from the bit of testing I tried on it.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael View Post
        As said in the earlier article, with the latest CS:GO/TF2 on Steam, the automated time demo quit benchmarking is broken in the game... The demo just seems to continuously repeat itself from the bit of testing I tried on it.
        Have you tried the Metro Redux games yet?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          As said in the earlier article, with the latest CS:GO/TF2 on Steam, the automated time demo quit benchmarking is broken in the game... The demo just seems to continuously repeat itself from the bit of testing I tried on it.
          The Talos Principle by Croteam which came out a day or two ago has a benchmark mode. It's a slightly improved SS3 Engine from what I have heared, but it had some performance issues during the Public Testing on my rig despite having an Intel/NVIDIA combo.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            The Talos Principle by Croteam which came out a day or two ago has a benchmark mode. It's a slightly improved SS3 Engine from what I have heared, but it had some performance issues during the Public Testing on my rig despite having an Intel/NVIDIA combo.
            Any info on the benchmark mode?
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
              Have you tried the Metro Redux games yet?
              Haven't heard from anyone yet whether the benchmark binary got ported so until I do so, probably not going to bother buying the games.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Look at the 6870 vs 750Ti. 6870 has ~50% more processing power and twice the VRAM bandwidth, yet it loses most tests by a big margin. I present you AMD blob quality.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Look at the 6870 vs 750Ti. 6870 has ~50% more processing power and twice the VRAM bandwidth, yet it loses most tests by a big margin. I present you AMD blob quality.
                  The new blobs probably don't affect the old 6000s at all. They're not even GCN cards so they'll keep sucking forever. Open source drivers are getting pretty good. Better to use that in the future.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Haven't heard from anyone yet whether the benchmark binary got ported so until I do so, probably not going to bother buying the games.
                    I ask because it actually works.
                    I ran the benchmark.sh file that is included and after the 2nd round, it'll give you a performance summary.

                    If you do end up benchmarking it, I suggest you use the latest stable nvidia driver.
                    The current beta driver has graphical glitches with the Metro Redux games.
                    Last edited by SolidSteel144; 12-12-2014, 02:02 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X