Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Strike: Global Offensive NVIDIA/AMD Benchmarks On Linux

Phoronix: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive NVIDIA/AMD Benchmarks On Linux

Several hours ago Valve finally released to the public the Linux port of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive! This has been one of the most sought after titles to come to Steam on Linux by gamers and now it's finally out there. Of course, soon as it was made public, we added support for the game to our benchmarking software. After a very busy night, here's the first widely available benchmarks of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive running natively on Linux. Up for this first round of testing are an assortment of AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards with the proprietary graphics drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

try r600 too.

Comment

Wow, benchmarks don't mean everything. I have a nVidia GTX660 and got a LOT of stutter. Turning on MSAA somehow just completely killed the framerate entirely. Normally, I play maxed out on Windows @ 2650x1440 with no problems.

Comment

I appreciate producing this benchmark so fast. Congrats. Couple of ideas though.
        It's industry standard to present performance sorted results (AnandTech, TechReport,
        TomsHardware, to name a few). Also, it's standard to show competitors products
        with different color codes (for example, nVidia green, Intel blue, ATi/AMD red, or so).
        I don't know if it is possible for PTS to present such charts, but it should be by now.
        We have 'the technology'.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          Wow, benchmarks don't mean everything. I have a nVidia GTX660 and got a LOT of stutter. Turning on MSAA somehow just completely killed the framerate entirely. Normally, I play maxed out on Windows @ 2650x1440 with no problems.
          Found the problem. By default in Ubuntu v-sync is enabled in the nVidia driver. Turning that off fixed everything. There are a few shader issues still. Sometimes player models are just completely black. Other than that, no weird other visual artifacts so far.

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
            Also, it's standard to show competitors products
            with different color codes (for example, nVidia green, Intel blue, ATi/AMD red, or so).
            Fantastic idea, but RGB that is Mesa

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Fantastic idea, but RGB that is Mesa

Pay attention, newb, I said GBR, noone ever mentioned RGB

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
                Pay attention, newb, I said GBR, noone ever mentioned RGB
                GBR is Great Britain so only Red an Blue, and no Green

Missing part must be Ireland no offence just joking here
                Last edited by dungeon; 23 September 2014, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Plenty of benchmarks for this short time, it does not show too much but it seems there is a 200 fps limit now in the engine. It would be nice to have a L4D2 profile in pts as that's the only source based game I have preinstalled. Basically I would say that all AMD cards which do not provide about 100 fps average (means always stay above 60 fps) are too slow for source, that includes my old HD 5670. With oss drivers there have been not so many jumps in framerate but the card is still slow. Especially with CS/TF games where you play against humans the gfx should be smooth.

Comment

@Michael:
                    Could you please add benchmarks with the same hardware running Windows? So we can compare the performance under Linux with what the performance should be like!

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                    X