Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisplayPort Comes To USB's Type-C Connector

Phoronix: DisplayPort Comes To USB's Type-C Connector

One week after the DisplayPort 1.3 debut, VESA this morning is announcing a new advancement to the DisplayPort standard: DisplayPort over USB...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This means smartphones with a reversible connector and video out. Niiiiiiceeeeee.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      This means smartphones with a reversible connector and video out. Niiiiiiceeeeee.
      No kidding. A phone with one jack that does:
      1)charging (up to 100W)!
      2)data (I guess that's still a thing)
      3)external peripherials (USB-OTG) like memory, networking, etc.
      4)DisplayPort video
      5)PCI-E? Yes, PCI-E!

On a laptop, it'll do both charging from and to other devices.

Comment

Up to 100W is exciting, you could possibly charge a laptop with that. Given how expensive the chargers usually are...

Comment

Does this mean we will see USB 3.1 slots on GPU's instead of DP ports? If so, can we have the monitor draw power from that and scrap the need for an external power cable?

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
            Does this mean we will see USB 3.1 slots on GPU's instead of DP ports? If so, can we have the monitor draw power from that and scrap the need for an external power cable?
            Could you? if you're not running a top end GPU, yes... would you want to? no and it really wouldn't scale past 1 monitor. The problem is going that particular route means that you're drawing a bunch of extra power off of a PCI-e slot that is already heavily loaded. Further consider the situation where I want to plug in a laptop to a monitor or projector, it makes no sense for the laptop to be powering the monitor as opposed to the reverse situation. So for now I think power cables for monitors are going to stay, however what you may end up with is a pair of USB cables one going to the wall the other to the computer.

Comment

How cool is this!!!

Comment

Apple used to have it like that, when you connected an Apple display it took power and usb over the same cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Could you? if you're not running a top end GPU, yes... would you want to? no and it really wouldn't scale past 1 monitor. The problem is going that particular route means that you're drawing a bunch of extra power off of a PCI-e slot that is already heavily loaded. Further consider the situation where I want to plug in a laptop to a monitor or projector, it makes no sense for the laptop to be powering the monitor as opposed to the reverse situation. So for now I think power cables for monitors are going to stay, however what you may end up with is a pair of USB cables one going to the wall the other to the computer.
                  You could have power coming off the PSU to the GPU and routed directly to the monitor through the USB port, but it would be a huge strain on the PSU if the monitor is a decent size (and even more if it's a TV). Still, that would probably be more efficient than those bricks most older monitors use--newer ones have really small power supplies, some even integrated into the monitor itself; my old samsung had a two prong plug that went straight into the back of my monitor.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, it would be a bit inconvenient if you used your monitor for anything other than your PC...for example, if it was in a media-center, connected to your stereo, game console, HTPC, etc., which one would supply power? Would they all? What if more than one were on at once?
                  Last edited by Nobu; 22 September 2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                    You could have power coming off the PSU to the GPU and routed directly to the monitor through the USB port, but it would be a huge strain on the PSU if the monitor is a decent size (and even more if it's a TV). Still, that would probably be more efficient than those bricks most older monitors use--newer ones have really small power supplies, some even integrated into the monitor itself; my old samsung had a two prong plug that went straight into the back of my monitor.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, it would be a bit inconvenient if you used your monitor for anything other than your PC...for example, if it was in a media-center, connected to your stereo, game console, HTPC, etc., which one would supply power? Would they all? What if more than one were on at once?
                    if you were routing from the GPU -> motherboard USB then yes, otherwise you've got a problem with this if you're talking a USB port on the GPU powering the monitor

because high end GPUs draw a lot of power and so you don't really have the headroom for 30-45 watts per monitor

Comment

Working...
                    X