Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VESA Releases DisplayPort 1.3, Pushes 32.4 Gbits/sec

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VESA Releases DisplayPort 1.3, Pushes 32.4 Gbits/sec

    Phoronix: VESA Releases DisplayPort 1.3, Pushes 32.4 Gbits/sec

    The Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) this morning officially unveiled the DisplayPort 1.3 specification that takes DP 1.2a even further...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc4ODk

  • #2
    Should be just enough for [email protected] Hz and 32-Bit colordepth.

    (3840x2160x32x120)/1000000000 = 31,85 Gb

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Should be just enough for [email protected] Hz and 32-Bit colordepth.

      (3840x2160x32x120)/1000000000 = 31,85 Gb
      just being curious, but shouldn't the colordepth be only 24bit? (3x8) why would a display handle an alpha channel?

      Comment


      • #4
        10-bit or 12-bit per colour component maybe?

        Comment


        • #5
          Meanwhile...

          I'm happily playing in a CRT using VGA connector and 1024x768....

          :")

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            Meanwhile...

            I'm happily playing in a CRT using VGA connector and 1024x768....

            :")
            Let me guess? Brood War?

            Comment


            • #7
              I think starcraft was 800x600.
              I used a 1024x768 CRT for a long time until it saw the powerline ribbeling on it. With MSAA x4 or x8 it still could give a nice image quality at 100Hz. But they suck up way to much power (often >100W)
              Also working with a lot of text, the higher resolutions are way nicer. And now with Oculus coming up there is a real need for high res/Hz again.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wonder when programmer-friendly 4K monitors will start to show up.
                Something with 16:10 rather than 16:9 aspect ratio, i.e. [email protected] would be pretty nice. Make it somewhere between 24"-27" and it will be a winner.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by karasu View Post
                  just being curious, but shouldn't the colordepth be only 24bit? (3x8) why would a display handle an alpha channel?
                  24 bit (8-bit per channel) colors are not sufficient, they lead to banding artefacts everywhere, this is awfull. We need to use 10 bit and 12 bit colors (30 and 36 bits per pixel) for real colors.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Szzz View Post
                    24 bit (8-bit per channel) colors are not sufficient, they lead to banding artefacts everywhere, this is awfull. We need to use 10 bit and 12 bit colors (30 and 36 bits per pixel) for real colors.
                    I am surprised and very happy that most 4K monitors on the market now (even the $600 ones) are 10 bit.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X