AMD Kaveri: Catalyst vs. RadeonSI Gallium3D On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
    I just ran these tests on my slackware system with comparable custom package versions.
    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

The only real problem i'm getting is with l4d2 not rendering/loading the hair for the survivors.

Can anyone else with mesa 10.3.0-devel check if they are having this issue ?
    I have only one question: why the heck are your numbers so damn high comparaed to Michae'ls numbers???

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Do you mean instead of Sea Islands,
      Neither this^ ...

... or are you imagining something like Crossfire ...
      ... nor Crossfire of course!

I just want to have a comparison between the differences between open source and closed source on Northern Island (Radeon HD 6870 only) and Sea Island (A10-7800).
      E.g. something like this:
      Linux 3.13 + Catalyst 14.6 Beta A10-7800
      Linux 3.13 + Mesa 10.1 A10-7800
      Linux 3.13 + Mesa 10.3 A10-7800
      Linux 3.16 + Mesa 10.3 A10-7800
      Linux 3.13 + Catalyst 14.6 Beta HD 6870 (same CPU A10-7800 for comparison)
      Linux 3.13 + Mesa 10.1 HD 6870 (same CPU A10-7800 for comparison)
      Linux 3.13 + Mesa 10.3 HD 6870 (same CPU A10-7800 for comparison)
      Linux 3.16 + Mesa 10.3 HD 6870 (same CPU A10-7800 for comparison)

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        When will the new Catalyst driver (the one that uses the open source kernel component) arrive?
        Not even sure that's still happening... At least AMD had no update last time we had a conf call.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          I mean you wanna this Kaveri results, but also Kabini and Richland/Trinity, etc and any other... to be added on top of this one .

No, I want more Bloated charts. ;-)
          In this^ chart there is one closed source and only one open source bar. But I want three open source bars for each card. And on the same CPU, which had to be the A10-7800 (and Kabini and Richland/Trinity ...).

We wanted primarily only the Radeon HD 6870 added.
          Then I wrote
          And inclusion of Kabini and Richland/Trinity would have been nice too.
          as a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
            I have only one question: why the heck are your numbers so damn high comparaed to Michae'ls numbers???
            He probably use big card there, HD 7870

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
              No, I want more Bloated charts. ;-)
              In this^ chart there is one closed source and only one open source bar. But I want three open source bars for each card. And on the same CPU, which had to be the A10-7800 (and Kabini and Richland/Trinity ...).
              I understand your wish, but i not understand why 6870 card That is nearly 4 years old

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                When will the new Catalyst driver (the one that uses the open source kernel component) arrive? I'm hoping that will push AMD to become the first GPU choice for Linux gamers, instead of NVidia.
                I don't think Nvidia is going to release the top spot for a long time. Having said that I just got a new Lenovo G505s with a A10 5750m processor that I'm really starting to enjoy. I have had bad luck over years with Radeon GPUs and Linux but this 8650G paired with the 14.4 Catalyst drivers has been a good performer. One issue I have had is that unplugging my power cable while playing a game in fullscreen will crash the game(native or wine)

Over all I'm impressed with my A10 laptop but I don't think it's enough to get me to replace my Nvidia card in my desktop anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  ... i not understand why 6870 card ...
                  Because AFAIK this is still the fastest and best supported (VLIW5/TeraScale 2, least difference to the closed source driver) card by the open source driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Not even sure that's still happening... At least AMD had no update last time we had a conf call.
                    Frankly, if that's true, it sucks! What are AMD even thinking? They need to do something about their driver.

I guess (again, if your speculation is true) we can only hope the open source devs catch up soon enough. But the FOSS driver will never have full day one support for new cards unless AMD provides documentation before release. Which they won't do, because "oh no, our secret sauce!"

I like AMD for their open initatives, support for open standards. But really...?

AMD are the incompetent good guys, and NVidia are the competent bad guys.
                    Last edited by xeekei; 12 August 2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                      I have an AMD A10-5700 APU that I would like to see benchmarked, but the only problem I have is underscan for my 39" HDTV connected through my Marantz AVR-SR5008 receiver via HDMI 1.4 cable. My TV is a Vizio E390-B0 and with Catalyst 14.4, there is no slider to correct underscan. I don't have that problem with Mesa/radeon driver.
                      So, I just bought a 32" Panasonic LCD (1080p) and have decided to use that as my main monitor. Unfortunately, when I hooked it up to my computer, I had under-scan with both Windows 7 x64 and Ubuntu Karmic x64 (using a Radeon HD 4870 1GB). In Windows, there was a simple slider in the Catalyst Control Center to fix the under-scan issue. Unfortunately, the same option wasn't available with the Linux counterpart. I searched online for some answers, but all the ones I found seemed outdated, or

That fixed the issue for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X