Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help recommend me a video card :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help recommend me a video card :)

Hi guys, well I'm new here, and I got a sweet deal on a computer due to my brother having connections at the county

Anyway, I mostly play strategy games, and I really want to play these two on high settings:

Age of Empires 3
    World in Conflict

These are my specs:

CPU: 3.2 GHz Pentium 4
    Motherboard: Intel Bonanza D875PBZ (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM, LAN)
    Motherboard chipset: Intel Canterwood i875P
    Memory: 1 Gb DDR3200 RAM
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 Mb
    HDD: Maxtor 80 Gb 7200 RPM

Now I used the Everest PC diagnosis program to get these, but unfortunately it wouldn't tell me the wattage of the PSU. Is there a program that can tell you?

Originally posted by tony.willson View Post
    Hi guys, well I'm new here, and I got a sweet deal on a computer due to my brother having connections at the county

Anyway, I mostly play strategy games, and I really want to play these two on high settings:

Age of Empires 3
    World in Conflict

These are my specs:

CPU: 3.2 GHz Pentium 4
    Motherboard: Intel Bonanza D875PBZ (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM, LAN)
    Motherboard chipset: Intel Canterwood i875P
    Memory: 1 Gb DDR3200 RAM
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 Mb
    HDD: Maxtor 80 Gb 7200 RPM

Now I used the Everest PC diagnosis program to get these, but unfortunately it wouldn't tell me the wattage of the PSU. Is there a program that can tell you?

Hi,

Im afraid your just have to check the psu or PC's website for info,

x1950 is the best bang for buck on agp, but uses about 66w

Comment

New ATI AGP cards are not really well supported within Linux currently - if you really want to upgrade try to find a second hand NVidia card. Best sell your system and buy a PCI-E based one. Everything is totally outdated now and replacing only the graphics cards does not really improve 3d speed that much.

Comment

I have a similar setup to you, just my cpu is clocked at 4ghz

i compared some benchmarks on 3dmark 05, with people running 1950 and core2 and the difference was not as much as you would think.

I can still play crysis on medium settings.

Plus 7.12 ati drivers under linux work fine now except for compiz which still has some issues, doom3 works on ultra settings just fine 1600x1200 with cedega.

I have now upgraded to hd3870 and chose ati over nvidia. AMD need the money, remember the current low prices have nothing to do with intel or nvidia amd are setting the price points first.

Comment

Originally posted by seanbarman View Post
          doom3 works on ultra settings just fine 1600x1200 with cedega.
          Try the native binary for doom3. There is a point release. It should work even better than using cedega. With the native binary you should have the same or even better speed than under windows.

Comment

I got an AMD/ATI card (Radeon 2600HD), and I recommend one thing:
            Get a Nvidia based card, ATI still has driver problems.
            You don't have to break the bank to get a Nvidia 8600.
            For a lower budget get Nvidia 7600GT.

Comment

Working...
            X