Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA vs. AMD 2D Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: NVIDIA vs. AMD 2D Performance Benchmarks

Yesterday on Phoronix we had benchmarks of high-end NVIDIA and AMD GPUs when looking at the Linux OpenGL performance on the proprietary drivers. For those more concerned about the 2D performance of the modern GeForce and Radeon graphics cards, here's some benchmarks for you.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, when did that change? Catalyst 2D used to be quite slow!

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      Wow, when did that change? Catalyst 2D used to be quite slow!
      Four or five last releases i think having OK 2D, that is what i tried (runing now 14.4-rev2) . It is still ?ber Slow if used in 32bit OS (for unknown reason to me), but in 64bit OS it works just fine .

Of course if i can guess (with in mind that opensource radeonsi uses 3D engine for 2D accel via glamor) that this 2D improvements maybe only aplay to the radeonsi hardware too . So give it a try on 64bit OS with radeonsi hardware, as also benchmarks shows it is also faster then nvidia there ... so i guess most will be satisfied with 2D performance .

Comment

The 2D results for the Radeon HD 7950 running on Catalyst is nearly twice as fast as mine running with the latest Gallium3d drivers.

Comment

On a closer look, I noticed that the QGears2 tests are being run with XRender rather than OpenGL. Anyone know how these tests perform with OpenGL for Catalyst? Here's what my Radeon HD 7950 gets with QGears2 using the Gallium3D drivers:

OpenGL
          Text = 355.83 Frames Per Second
          Gears = 316.15 Frames Per Second
          Image Scaling = 2233.10 Frames Per Second

XRender
          Text = 126.28 Frames Per Second
          Gears = 113.99 Frames Per Second
          Image Scaling = 692.96 Frames Per Second

Comment

Catalyst always sucked at 2D in the past but it has been pretty good since 2013. It's to the point where I don't really notice the driver and any possible slowdowns are coming from the toolkit/application.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              Anyone know how these tests perform with OpenGL for Catalyst?
              Lets see, this is with Athlon 5350 and of course flgrx 14.4-rev2 .

OpenGL
              Text = 134.98 Frames Per Second
              Gears = 186.91 Frames Per Second
              Image Scaling = 1493.10 Frames Per Second

XRender
              Text = 96.31 Frames Per Second
              Gears = 108.01 Frames Per Second
              Image Scaling = 562.79 Frames Per Second
              Faster as expected .

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Catalyst always sucked at 2D in the past but it has been pretty good since 2013. It's to the point where I don't really notice the driver and any possible slowdowns are coming from the toolkit/application.
                My 7950 *feels* blazing fast in 2d unless I don't use a compositor.
                In this case, the performance (especially scrolling) drops significantly.

One exception:

Does anybody use urxvt and Catalyst?
                Not sure if Catalyst doesn't provide an accelerated code path for whatever urxvt requires.
                While for intel and radeon systems the character throughput is extremely fast,
                I see terminal pages take *literally* 0.5-1 second to build up.
                Consequently, outputting lots of lines takes forever.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  On a closer look, I noticed that the QGears2 tests are being run with XRender rather than OpenGL. Anyone know how these tests perform with OpenGL for Catalyst? Here's what my Radeon HD 7950 gets with QGears2 using the Gallium3D drivers:

OpenGL
                  Text = 355.83 Frames Per Second
                  Gears = 316.15 Frames Per Second
                  Image Scaling = 2233.10 Frames Per Second

XRender
                  Text = 126.28 Frames Per Second
                  Gears = 113.99 Frames Per Second
                  Image Scaling = 692.96 Frames Per Second
                  try with performance governer
                  OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

hd 7790
                  OpenGL
                  Text = 303\213
                  Gears = 473\250
                  Image Scaling = 5259\2720

XRender
                  Text = 181\91
                  Gears = 161\85
                  Image Scaling = 331\173

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    Does anybody use urxvt and Catalyst?
                    Not using, but tried it now... works tad fast here wit Catalyst . xterm too .

I remeber that with xterm on radeon driver too, but that slowness some people hit actually depends on font setup... with some fonts both drivers can be slow there .
                    Last edited by dungeon; 27 May 2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X