High-End NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
    What matters is performance, not VRAM size.

290 is literally a power hog compared to the 770, not to mention the noise and temperature issues.
    That depends on the resolution and game you are running, stuff like 3-5x monitor setups and 4K screens need the increased vram, Also games like Metro: Last Light and new AAA class games coming to Linux will easily devour more then 4Gb of Vram with all the settings turned up at resolutions higher then 1920x1080. Just imagine what Star Citizen is going to require to run well.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
      "... AMD's unwillingness to supply Phoronix with higher-end GPU review samples ..."
      So why don't you ask AMD for a R7 240 and R7 250?
      AMD's high end cards where printing them money for all of the bitcoin miners as they excelled at the task, now that this has fallen off the prices are coming back in line with where they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        AMD's high end cards where printing them money for all of the bitcoin miners as they excelled at the task, now that this has fallen off the prices are coming back in line with where they should be.
        I don't think we benefited from the price inflation, ie we were not raising *our* prices.

AFAIK we were not running bitcoin farms in the back of the warehouse either
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I don't think we benefited from the price inflation, ie we were not raising *our* prices.

AFAIK we were not running bitcoin farms in the back of the warehouse either
          Perhaps you should have? Then you'd be able to hire more Linux devs!

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Perhaps you should have? Then you'd be able to hire more Linux devs!
            Sure, but we could have also lost a lot of money on the downside (remember things like price protection) and had the opposite effect on staffing. Buying lottery tickets would have been more conservative.
            Test signature

Comment

We know for certain that AMD mined Lottocoins

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
                Even Intel has better Linux support overall.
                even? that word makes no sense in that matter, Intel has clearly the best drivers for linux. 1000x better than this nvidia garbage.

100% stable, support as first all the new X11-magic or wayland shit, integrated etc. if you wanna critisise Intel you can critisie em for building not good (fast) hardware. But the drivers under linux are the best.

That said on the igp sector or fussion sector where intel only delivers stuff, amd is also better than nvidia, because Nvidia just dont offer that at least not for x86.

The free drivers work great with kabini as example. Out of the box without frickling around or use a freedom hater distro like ubuntu, and even with ubuntu you get problems if you want to update some stuff or distro not coming into X before u fix stuff on the console is a blob(nvidia) only problem.

So bring here Intel as comparsion just is a bad comparsion.

I can follow you so far, that if you want to use a driver blob and a fast grafics card under linux at the moment nvidia is most likely the way to go.

Thats maybe sad, but at the moment for hardcore-gamers linux is not a good option anyway.

I have a kabini system for linux works great, before I had a zacate board in it, itx form factor with ssd, works really well.
                on it I have synergy for mouse and keyboard sharing installed, then I have windows pc with a old hd5850 in it. and play there, another solution would be to have a ps3 or something.

But I would hate my life if I would have to fuck around with wine-garbage or have only 1/4 of the games in steam and 0% outside steam availible.

Of course that could change in 1-2 years with steamos, but so far linux is no full gaming plattform. And even then I will have a seperate gaming rick that I send to sleep when I dont game because I want a nsa-spyware free pc for work, and want not to have a frickl-linux because nvidias lisense is incompatible with linuxkernel.

For me nvidia are amateurs, they dont get that they cant keep up with the big changes in the kernel. so you have to wait for them slow idiots till they port new stuff, how long did they need to get the current version of xrandr implemented?

All stuff a kernel dev does for all drivers in a eyeblink after he changed the api.

And they cant support 100 different distros with all their verisons... so you have to use garbage slow moving distros like garbage ubuntu. to not every second day have not working xserver.

In Fedora 20 I had 3-4 new kernel versions 3.11 or so till 3.14 I belive, even canonical delivers on their fix kernels here and there no working nvidia driver. and stuff.

Or you have to use a old one...

Problems over problems vs 0 problems except not enough fps for wine-AAA-Gaming.

I keep them seperated one evil box with windows, nsa-spyware aka driver blobs and proprietary games and a clean one. with 0% (except bios) proprietary software, no flash no shit...

Comment

Working...
                X