No announcement yet.

High-End NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, you've tested zero actual games.

No one buys these beasts to play HL2 or run Unigine benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Michael, you've tested zero actual games.

No one buys these beasts to play HL2 or run Unigine benchmarks.
      What games with benchmarking capabilities would you suggest?

Comment

AMD

"... AMD's unwillingness to supply Phoronix with higher-end GPU review samples ..."
        So why don't you ask AMD for a R7 240 and R7 250?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
          "... AMD's unwillingness to supply Phoronix with higher-end GPU review samples ..."
          So why don't you ask AMD for a R7 240 and R7 250?
          Maybe because he can buy those, but then must buy concurent parts too .

Who knows why AMD does not give those high end samples to Michael, maybe because very interesting fact lately that AMD high end parts actually cost more in USA then in rest of the world for some reason... why this happens is probably best question for economists .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            maybe because very interesting fact lately that AMD high end parts actually cost more in USA then in rest of the world for some reason... why this happens is probably best question for economists .
            That doesn't cost AMD any more. All that inflation of price is done at the reseller level.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              What games with benchmarking capabilities would you suggest?
              Tesseract! It was worked on for PTS integration recently.

Comment

ATI for Linux is for Masochistic

I use Linux on all my PC's 100% of the time, and have done so since 1998. I build or purchase all my PC's and have spec'd linux PCs for a few dozen others. Since around 2006, it became clear that NV was serious about providing the most stable and best performing drivers and cards for Linux. My brother, who dual boots Linux as a hobby, always gets ATI boards. And then he wonders why he keeps getting surprising regressions or lousy 2D performance. I've given up trying to help outside of suggesting he stop buying ATI until they fix their drivers. Even Intel has better Linux support overall.

I wish it weren't so - ironically AMD processors have always had good to great Linux support, and my home workstation runs a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition over clocked at 4GHz. But the graphics board is a NVidia GTX 660, and my workstation at the office has a GTX 650ti boost, and they provide great reliability and performance at 2560x1440 and 3840x1200 respectively. Ubuntu support for these cards has been very good. Steam games like Portal 2 or Dota 2 run great at 2560x1440. From what I've seen performance is comparable or better than on Windows.

If someone gave me a PC with an ATI card, the first thing I'd do is replace it with a $150 GTX 750ti or better. Its just not worth the hassle. Now I have to email a link to this article to my brother...
                Last edited by deppman; 26 May 2014, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  It was tested, and can be found via the OpenBenchmarking.org result file, but ended up being CPU bottlenecked on all of the graphics cards.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    While I appreciate and understand what you're saying with regards to performance, VRAM is now a factor in high end gaming. A few of the modern games recommend 3gb to have high res textures on Windows. I just purchased a 770, and went for the 4gb version exactly for this reason.

While 2gb may be enough for Linux today, if you're forward thinking then 4gb is going to last you longer than 2gb (at whatever performance level you're going for as long as it's fairly high end). 2gb would already limit you if you want high-res textures on some recent games on Windows. That is if what the devs say is true, I haven't ruled out the possibility that they said that to shift AMD cards, many of which have 3gb, whereas most Nvidia other than the 780 go for 2gb, with a 4gb option.
                    Yeah, most likely that 4gb card will play nicely with 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                      As Michael pointed out, that is CPU limited. However I believe the OP was more whining that there wasn't any modern AAA games that were tested and as usual the reason for that is that most do not provide benchmarking capability.

Comment

Working...
                      X