GeForce 700 vs. Radeon Rx 200 Series With The Latest Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like known and common problem .

The resize effect has by now been significantly improved to provide a fast texture scaling. This provides a fast and useful workaround for the slow resizing with fglrx. Sorry that we cannot do something real about it, but fglrx is out of our control. From personal experience the resizing is better with radeon and even worse with NVIDIA blob, but significantly better on nouveau.

Comment

I notice no difference between radeonsi and fglrx 2D acceleration while using cinnamon. Probably a bug in your DE.

Comment

I think the R7 260X does surprisingly good, especially against the 750 Ti (Maxwell). Just ordered the ASUS 260X OC 2GB. Fast enough for me, and it's based on the newest GCN 1.1-architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
          Valve have chosen Nvidia and rightly so.
          Valve didn't do what was right, they took the pragmatic approach. NVIDIA doesn't even have open source drivers. They're a vendor that should be avoided at all costs.

Comment

Beg To Differ

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
            Valve didn't do what was right, they took the pragmatic approach. NVIDIA doesn't even have open source drivers. They're a vendor that should be avoided at all costs.
            I avoid AMD at all costs, never forgiven them for dropping HD4000 or less support so soon after selling laptops with those chips in. At least with Nvidia you get very long support cycles for their binary blob which does usually work very well.

Comment

So...

1. Everyone says we should kill Catalyst and focus on open source drivers

2. We hire developers and help make good open source drivers

3. We phase out Catalyst support for the older GPUs but keep improving the open source driver support for them

4. ... and you'll never forgive us for doing it

I don't think I understand.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                I would imagine that Arch dropped support for it since there is no need for Catalyst anymore if you are already running the latest stable open source driver stack.
                Arch dropped them, because they are a pain in the ass to maintain when you're a distribution with bleeding edge packages and Catalyst often doesn't support the latest X.Org ABI or at least didn't in the past.

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                Yeah good luck running Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine on the open source drivers. Without NVIDIA gaming on Linux wouldn't be anywhere, lol. It's the only vendor where you aren't punished with bad performance for running Linux.
                Last edited by blackout23; 26 April 2014, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  So...

1. Everyone says we should kill Catalyst and focus on open source drivers

2. We hire developers and help make good open source drivers

3. We phase out Catalyst support for the older GPUs but keep improving the open source driver support for them

4. ... and you'll never forgive us for doing it

I don't think I understand.
                  Most of the complaints are that catalyst is extremely unstable/unsupported by many distros while the FOSS driver for the HD-7000/R7/R9 isn't very performant which leaves people with those cards in a pretty bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    Most of the complaints are that catalyst is extremely unstable/unsupported by many distros while the FOSS driver for the HD-7000/R7/R9 isn't very performant which leaves people with those cards in a pretty bad situation.
                    Open source performance for the newer cards is continuing to improve pretty quickly, but Slartibart... hold on... Slartifartblast's complaint was about older (in this case mobile HD4xxx parts, so RV710/730 ?) where the open source drivers are already quite mature.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Open source performance for the newer cards is continuing to improve pretty quickly, but Slartibart... hold on... Slartifartblast's complaint was about older (in this case mobile HD4xxx parts, so RV710/730 ?) where the open source drivers are already quite mature.
                      Is there any plan to give fglrx a better 2d performance so we can use composite desktops without performance loss? Again, I give the example of window resizing in ubuntu 14.04 with Unity DE.

Comment

Working...
                      X