X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
    Valve have chosen Nvidia and rightly so.
    Valve didn't do what was right, they took the pragmatic approach. NVIDIA doesn't even have open source drivers. They're a vendor that should be avoided at all costs.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    I think the R7 260X does surprisingly good, especially against the 750 Ti (Maxwell). Just ordered the ASUS 260X OC 2GB. Fast enough for me, and it's based on the newest GCN 1.1-architecture.

Leave a comment:

• peppercats
    replied
    I notice no difference between radeonsi and fglrx 2D acceleration while using cinnamon. Probably a bug in your DE.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied

Looks like known and common problem .

The resize effect has by now been significantly improved to provide a fast texture scaling. This provides a fast and useful workaround for the slow resizing with fglrx. Sorry that we cannot do something real about it, but fglrx is out of our control. From personal experience the resizing is better with radeon and even worse with NVIDIA blob, but significantly better on nouveau.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    Lubuntu does not use compositing; therefore it isn't relying on the graphics card for anything except rendering to the screen. Dragging windows and resizing windows are very slow with composited desktops running on Catalyst thanks to the horrible 2D performance. Even with glamor's inefficient 2D with 3D shader acceleration, it still manages to render the desktop faster than Catalyst. I've got a Kabini-based laptop, two Radeon HD 6800 desktops, one R9 270X, and a Radeon HD 7950 desktop, all of which have a significantly more responsive desktop with the open source drivers than Catalyst. Even various games run better on the open source drivers, which Catalyst has a lot of stuttering in.
    I understand that, because i mainly does not use composite so not seeing those problem under opebox So OK then, fglrx problem is ONLY under composited enviroments .

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    @narciso

I am mainly Debian and openbox user, but actually i am right now in lubuntu 14.04 . So resizing windows here gives some blackiness, but that is not slow, work fast .

So is that just another Unity problem or resizing windows under composited enviroments in general?
    Lubuntu does not use compositing; therefore it isn't relying on the graphics card for anything except rendering to the screen. Dragging windows and resizing windows are very slow with composited desktops running on Catalyst thanks to the horrible 2D performance. Even with glamor's inefficient 2D with 3D shader acceleration, it still manages to render the desktop faster than Catalyst. I've got a Kabini-based laptop, two Radeon HD 6800 desktops, one R9 270X, and a Radeon HD 7950 desktop, all of which have a significantly more responsive desktop with the open source drivers than Catalyst. Even various games run better on the open source drivers, which Catalyst has a lot of stuttering in.

Originally posted by phill1978
    Cant run open source as when you run a game STC3 texture support isnt enabled.. and thats even with the latest Oibaf + Mesa + kernals
    As far as I know, S3CT is globally enabled by default with Ubuntu and Oibaf's PPA so long as you have the proper s3tc library installed.

Leave a comment:

• ForkedPython
    replied
    ohh i would add that for over 3 months now beyond 1.7.2.3 and mesa 9.5.2 / Kernal 3.12 the FOSS performance for AMD has nose dived !

yes thats right, even the glorious open source world is going backwards with AMD and most my games are practically unplayable.

oh and the other Gem.. SteamOS even thought it unofficially supports AMD .. Cant run open source as when you run a game STC3 texture support isnt enabled.. and thats even with the latest Oibaf + Mesa + kernals

Fluster Cluck
    Last edited by ForkedPython; 25 April 2014, 05:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    @narciso

I am mainly Debian and openbox user, but actually i am right now in lubuntu 14.04 . So resizing windows here gives some blackiness, but that is not slow, work fast .

So is that just another Unity problem or resizing windows under composited enviroments in general?

Leave a comment:

• ForkedPython
    replied
    the only time i managed to get AMD working any good was on kernal 3.12 with 9.2.5 mesa and 1.7.2.3 drivers with various compositors and various vsync settings

even the latest oibaf and various kernal / mesa versions give poor vsync support with missplaced frames. It is still impossible to get smooth vsync'd 3D opengl graphics on FOSS or Catalyst in most instances

AMD suck so hard. And there internal management team should be Fired.

ohh and you still have to: force_s3tc_enable=true steam in the terminal to play Source games

even on the latest FOSS drivers which the average user wont have a clue about. What a fucking shambles

Valve have chosen Nvidia and rightly so.
    Last edited by ForkedPython; 25 April 2014, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• narciso
    replied
    Try to do a basic thing like window resizing in ubuntu 14.04 and it's noticeable how slow it is with fglrx. This with a r9 290x.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X