Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20-Way Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU Comparison With Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: 20-Way Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPU Comparison With Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Last week we covered a 13-way Radeon GPU comparison on Ubuntu 14.04 and we also looked at the state of Nouveau on Ubuntu 14.04 with many NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards. In concluding our latest round of open-source graphics driver tests from the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr", here's a 20-way graphics processor comparison using AMD Radeon, NVIDIA GeForce, and Intel HD Graphics hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No surprises there...
    Its either AMD or LOL.

Comment

I chose the Radeon HD 6870 based on past reviews by Phoronix. Still seems like a perfect choice.

Odd that new generation cards still don't run fast enough under the open-source driver to even equal it yet. Using non-free drivers would not be acceptable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
        I chose the Radeon HD 6870 based on past reviews by Phoronix. Still seems like a perfect choice.

Odd that new generation cards still don't run fast enough under the open-source driver to even equal it yet. Using non-free drivers would not be acceptable to me.
        Using catalyst the 6870 is still faster in some benchs... or too close to the performance of the new generation cards.

Comment

Once again a misleading title on Phoronix. This is not a GPU comparison (it should be no question that a GTX680 is faster than a HD6870), this is a driver performance comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
            Odd that new generation cards still don't run fast enough under the open-source driver to even equal it yet.
            GCN hardware is newer architecture and use different driver, maybe that hardware architecture is just slower for these tests .

But when we look closely only Radeon 6870 performs strange yes strange , it perfoms very good but why (so) better then Radeon 6950 And if we exclude that particular card Radeon 6870, results are very scalable and GCN hardware performs better .

Comment

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
              Using catalyst the 6870 is still faster in some benchs... or too close to the performance of the new generation cards.
              Oh, if it shows the same behavior with fglrx , then that prove 6870 is nothing but just some kind of exception rather than the rule .

Comment

as a 7790/260X/Bonaire owner...

I'm in a glass case of emotion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwveNAc1lo

Lots of low numbers for me.

Comment

One issue might be that the apps which would show off the GCN capabilities are also the apps where register allocation issues are preventing them from running on GCN hardware.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 07 April 2014, 10:39 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Compare what Intel Haswell 4600 doing now and two moths ago in Prey especialy

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And now it is just double faster then Radeon 6450, but that is of course in line with expected performance difference if we look for example passmark results it is

Video Card Benchmarks - Over 200,000 Video Cards and 900 Models Benchmarked and compared in graph form - This page is an alphabetical listing of video card models we have obtained benchmark information for.

Video Card Benchmarks - Over 200,000 Video Cards and 900 Models Benchmarked and compared in graph form - This page is an alphabetical listing of video card models we have obtained benchmark information for.

So that is now corrected, and now compare Radeon 6870, 6950 and 7850:

I dont have these cards , but i am happy to assume that 6870 just does not have correct rendering .

Comment

Working...
                    X