Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Announces "Pascal" Next-Gen GPU Family

Phoronix: NVIDIA Announces "Pascal" Next-Gen GPU Family

While NVIDIA's recently-announced Maxwell graphics architecture is doing terrific under Linux, Pascal was announced today as their next-generation GPU come 2016...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unless the situation has really changed I don't really see the point of NVLink, because when PCIe3.0 came out Tom's hardware did some test and found that there was minimal benefit to it over PCIe2.0, at that point those lanes weren't really the bottleneck.

Comment

Will the next GPU line be called "Delphi"? Or perhaps "COBOL"?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Unless the situation has really changed I don't really see the point of NVLink, because when PCIe3.0 came out Tom's hardware did some test and found that there was minimal benefit to it over PCIe2.0, at that point those lanes weren't really the bottleneck.
        It's for supercomputing not related for gaming, oh and think about hsa or something similar...:
        NVIDIA today announced that it plans to integrate a high-speed interconnect, called NVIDIA? NVLink™, into its future GPUs, enabling GPUs and CPUs to share data five to 12 times faster than they can today. This will eliminate a longstanding bottleneck and help pave the way for a new generation of exascale supercomputers that are 50-100 times faster than today's most powerful systems.
        So Volta was renamed to Pascal, hrh will be quite hilarious to conjugate it in finnish.

Comment

I've watched press conference and didn't get a thing about price for Titan Z. It seems Nvidia has its own math.
          Titan x 1 = $1000
          Titan x 2 = $2000
          But Nvidia says that slapping those to chips on one board would cost $3000.

Also realtime car demonstration using renderfarm was something out of this world. He said its cheap and then says 17 machines each $50 000 is ok to run one car almost in realtime. And the car didn't even look that good to begin with. Even though i liked that they modeled it completely, detail by detail, crazy modelers.

I also don't really understand a thing about PCIe being the bottleneck when it was never the case, neither for OpenGL nor for OpenCL/Cuda performance. Infact AMD said goodbye to crossfire bridges because of the same reason of PCIe being enough for all needs. And i though Nvidia will do the same but somehow they don't.

I liked the part when he said that all GPUs will give linear performance once you connect them with NVlim(renamed SLI i presume). I really hope he was talking about graphics because for compute tasks it always was the case.

Comment

Hmm tegra k1 development board, called jetson TK1 @192$(not usually devboard price like 500$ or something, a bit pricey still):
            Latest NVIDIA news, search archive, download multimedia, download executive bios, get media contact information, subscribe to email alerts and RSS.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
              Hmm tegra k1 development board, called jetson TK1 @192$(not usually devboard price like 500$ or something, a bit pricey still):
              http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Release...stems-ad8.aspx
              nvlink shoudl die, it's a dangerous trend to have.

Comment

Stacked DRAM be good.
                Like that it's faster. It's an important improvement.

Don't like the NVlink.
                Last edited by plonoma; 25 March 2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Oh, bloody hell.
                  For a second there I thought Nvidia were creating a new shading language
                  based on Pascal.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    Stacked DRAM be good.
                    Like that it's faster.

Don't like the NVlink.
                    I don't believe we will ever see nvlink in consumer space. It's for hpc, and especially power8 processors for better bandwidth for unified memory between gpus and cpu(heck it's developed with ibm for ibm supercomputers).

Comment

Working...
                    X