New card. Open source drivers only.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New card. Open source drivers only.

New gfx card time. My Asus hd7850 is busted and fricking Mexican Asus denied my RMA. Bastards. The only "decent" cards I have found here in my price range are a XFX HD7870 and a GB R9 270X for a few pesos more. The old HD7850 worked alright with the open source drivers, so I assume the HD7870 would be the same. How are the R9 270s running on the latest drivers?

Actually, the R9 270X is mostly a rebrand of the 7870 GHz edition, they use the same chipset.

Some benchmarks comparing the open source and proprietary driver on Ubuntu 14.04 can be found here:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Just started a similar search. I'm interested in linux gaming, and currently have an HD6950

Dota2 runs great using the mesa 10.2-devel / radeonsi, but my shading language is *still* too low for planetary annihilation.

This seems like a good resource to see what is implemented and for which drivers:

I went into this research thinking I'd be jumping ship to nvidia, but it looks like their open source drivers are way behind too.

If you come across anything interesting, let me know.

-alex

Comment

Originally posted by fubarwin View Post
        Just started a similar search. I'm interested in linux gaming, and currently have an HD6950

Dota2 runs great using the mesa 10.2-devel / radeonsi, but my shading language is *still* too low for planetary annihilation.

This seems like a good resource to see what is implemented and for which drivers:

I went into this research thinking I'd be jumping ship to nvidia, but it looks like their open source drivers are way behind too.

If you come across anything interesting, let me know.

-alex
        the HD 6950 does not use radeonsi but r600. you are better off using 10.1 stable since r600 has no big improvements in 10.2.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Actually, the R9 270X is mostly a rebrand of the 7870 GHz edition, they use the same chipset.

Some benchmarks comparing the open source and proprietary driver on Ubuntu 14.04 can be found here:
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._radeon_trusty
          those need one 6-pin power connection more than your old card. maybe you want to go for an r9 270x cause they refined the 28 nm process and thus it burns less power than a 7870ghz edition while it runs at slightly higher clocks according to measurements noted in the german wikipedia.

Comment

I own sapphire R9 270X 2GB, and it works ok with stable and git versions of xf86-video-ati and glamor code. Performance wise - it depends I don't play anything on Linux except UrbanTerror and that runs on 125fps maxed out. glxgears give 1500fps belive it or not, but glxgears is not a benchmark. I could run a few phoronix-test-suite benches, just to post them here if you need them.

Regards!

Comment

How about the HD 7770? It's cheap and reasonably low power, yet quite a bit more powerful than the HD 7750.

In any case, I'd be careful with CIK parts, these can still be a bit problematic.
              Last edited by brent; 23 April 2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X