Nouveau Drags Behind Intel & Radeon For Linux 2D Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Quick question... the article text suggests that the Intel driver is using SNA...

... but the screen grab above it suggests that the Intel driver is using GLAMOR. Am I misreading something ?
    Whoops, might have merged the other Intel result with this multi-GPU 2D comparison... All the Intel SNA/UXA/GLAMOR results from the same system with testing the same day are in this result file http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19993 so will check into it then re-merge the results.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

In 2012 Nouveau beat Radeon in Kdenlive performance

The Kdenlive video editor seems to involve one of the few tough XV video tests out there, as multiple video streams have to be resized for display in one "screen" portion of the Kdenlive GUI. It is common for playback to stutter during transitions when two files are played at once. Performance differs with different drivers: The proprietary drivers give the worst performance of all. Radeon gives good but not perfect performance-but the best, closest to stutter-free results I ever saw came from Nouveau running on an Nivdia GTS450 back in 2012. OpenGL performance was awful but nothing ever worked better in Kdenlive for some reason. I don't know if that's true today with all the general improvements I've seen in the R600 driver, however.

Comment

When it comes to testing nouveau please test the older, reclockable ones so we can get a 1-1.
        Basically I'd like to know how well nouveau is actually written when it can reclock.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
          When it comes to testing nouveau please test the older, reclockable ones so we can get a 1-1.
          Basically I'd like to know how well nouveau is actually written when it can reclock.
          It's not really useful when the older drivers are on a different Gallium3D driver: NV50 vs. NVC0. And regardless of hardware generation the re-clocking on modern kernels requires a kernel rebuild at last check in order to bypass one of the checks... So for all intensive, real-world purposes for the vast majority of users, it's not easily re-clockable even for the older hardware that previously just required setting kernel parameters and writing some sysfs values.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            It's not really useful when the older drivers are on a different Gallium3D driver: NV50 vs. NVC0. And regardless of hardware generation the re-clocking on modern kernels requires a kernel rebuild at last check in order to bypass one of the checks... So for all intensive, real-world purposes for the vast majority of users, it's not easily re-clockable even for the older hardware that previously just required setting kernel parameters and writing some sysfs values.
            Unless they changed something pretty recently you don't need to rebuild the kernel but you need to send the proper parameter to the kernel on boot (I don't recall it offhand since I made the change in etc/default many months ago).
            The point about the driver split between generations is fair though.
            From what I recall, when reclocking was available nouveau was surprisingly competitive. That's why I'm always interested in nv50.

Comment

Working...
            X