Broadcom Open-Sources VideoCore IV 3D Graphics Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by endman View Post
    Broadcom's move to release it's graphics stack under the a BSD-like license is not an step forward but a step back because the creation of more proprietary software then when it was itself proprietary.
    Let's not end up in a religious flame war (again).

After all, the documentation is released.
    And I guess someone might consider writing a mesa driver anyway.

Comment

Broadcom's move to release it's graphics stack under the a BSD-like license is not an step forward but a step back because the creation of more proprietary software then when it was itself proprietary.
      Yes, only selfish Linux developers should be allowed to use the source code.

Comment

I'm pro GPL but this post I can't believe. Having one free driver and possibly many proprietary ones for a given piece of hardware is way better than having no free driver at all. Moreover, documentation enables you to write another driver under whatever license you prefer. The BSD thing doesn't benefit nonfree software more than it benefits free software

Comment

Drivers normally get released under a BSD-like license so the code and headers can be used with both BSD- and GPL-licensed OSes. Hopefully that's not a bad thing.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by J?rnS View Post
            Just for the records, does that mean we can have fully accelerated X11 (quite) soon?

Raspberry already runs fully accelerated Wayland. We don't need X11 support, just focus on Wayland and Mir now.

Comment

Originally posted by IsacDaavid View Post
              I'm pro GPL but this post I can't believe. Having one free driver and possibly many proprietary ones for a given piece of hardware is way better than having no free driver at all. Moreover, documentation enables you to write another driver under whatever license you prefer. The BSD thing doesn't benefit nonfree software more than it benefits free software
              Same here. I'm not really sure who would create and sell a proprietary fork of a GPU driver made by another company to be honest!

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Raspberry already runs fully accelerated Wayland. We don't need X11 support, just focus on Wayland and Mir now.

RPi is a piece of hardware. People should be able to run whatever they want on it. Your post is very ignorant but not surprising for Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                  RPi is a piece of hardware. People should be able to run whatever they want on it. Your post is very ignorant but not surprising for Phoronix.
                  well, either ignorant or he knows something of the r-pi architecture. You can arrive at the same conclusion either way.

(Although if there is a possibility for the gpu driver to run on the arm itself, that addresses one performance barrier for x11.. but all the same, you'll be able to better leverage the hw composition that r-pi has with weston.)

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
                    (Although if there is a possibility for the gpu driver to run on the arm itself, that addresses one performance barrier for x11.. but all the same, you'll be able to better leverage the hw composition that r-pi has with weston.)
                    I don't run Linux and couldn't care less about Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                      I don't run Linux and couldn't care less about Wayland.
                      ok, then I admit that I'm a bit confused about what your point is and what you are doing here

(well, ok, it *is* phoronix after all.. I guess I should have just started with the assumption that you are trolling)

Comment

Working...
                      X