Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel, AMD, NVIDIA Working To Reduce OpenGL Overhead

Phoronix: Intel, AMD, NVIDIA Working To Reduce OpenGL Overhead

Key OpenGL engineers from Intel, AMD, and NVIDIA will be presenting next month at the 2014 Game Developers Conference about reducing driver overhead with OpenGL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The two Nv guys gave a similar presentation at the Steam days, so this is likely half copypaste from that.

Comment

Yeah, here's the nvidia presentation at valve's conference which is certain to be pretty similar:

In this session, Cass Everitt and John McDonald from NVIDIA will talk about some newer extensions to OpenGL and how they can reduce (or even eliminate) drive...

There was a lot of good stuff in those videos. Also discussed was that Khronos came out with an official reference GLSL parser, called glslang (http://www.opengl.org/sdk/tools/glslang/). Valve is using it to test every time they commit a change to their shaders.

Comment

I guess they will be presenting pretty the same techniques as was NVidia presenting at Steam Dev Days.

More interesting stuff is that the key technique to reducing the number of draw calls is the GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect extension that was created by AMD as GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect in 2010 and later approved by Kronos.

Looking at the Mantle API (or what is known about it) it looks like AMD wrapped all the advanced techniques from OpenGL, switched from GLSL to DirectX shaders (therefore no Linux support) and called it Mantle. I guess it was easier job than to fix their OpenGL drivers and convince game developers to use OpenGL with it thousands versions, profiles, extensions etc.

Comment

This gives me a big question: If AMD knew that OpenGL would come close to zero driver overhead why create Mantle? You would hope that the reason is that Mantle is so superior that OpenGL could never catchup but... I am not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
            This gives me a big question: If AMD knew that OpenGL would come close to zero driver overhead why create Mantle?
            Having your own "brand" is great for marketing. People love new and shiny.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              Having your own "brand" is great for marketing. People love new and shiny.
              If Intel and nVidia won't support mantle it will go the way of Glide and Physx.

Comment

Nvidia, AMD, and Intel working together? Cats and dogs living together... mass hysteria!

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                  Nvidia, AMD, and Intel working together? Cats and dogs living together... mass hysteria!
                  This is not something new. How do you think OpenGL was developed?

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Klesnil View Post
                    Looking at the Mantle API (or what is known about it) it looks like AMD wrapped all the advanced techniques from OpenGL, switched from GLSL to DirectX shaders (therefore no Linux support)
                    Porting hlsl parsing code to linux is anything but hard, you know.

Comment

Working...
                    X