No announcement yet.

Intel, AMD, NVIDIA Working To Reduce OpenGL Overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of gdc14, epic's unreal engine 4 will have it's own opengl renderer. Hopefully we will see new unreal and/or UT which have steamos binaries from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
      Speaking of gdc14, epic's unreal engine 4 will have it's own opengl renderer. Hopefully we will see new unreal and/or UT which have steamos binaries from the beginning.
      Interesting. I'm hopeful about that. Though the presentation itself will probably talk about OpenGL ES, not actual OpenGL, and it's not clear if this renderer will be a part of upstream UE4, or just something developers can create at their own will (like the UE3 ports).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Interesting. I'm hopeful about that. Though the presentation itself will probably talk about OpenGL ES, not actual OpenGL.
        UE4 demos on the Tegra K1 presentation used "desktop" OpenGL AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Looks like AMD is flying me out to San Francisco as they want me at GDC and to meet with Graham.... Anyone have any interesting AMD Linux OpenGL questions they want asked?
          1) Will AMD serve game devs with engineering resources as is currently taking place with Catalyst. (Ofc. everybody can get in touch with floss team, I'm speaking about "Official" TM channel here )?
          2) Will AMD certify Mesa driver?
          3) Will AMD recommend floss driver for legacy GPUs? (when r600g hw is put into legacy mode)
          4) Is AMD working at Mantle-inspired OGL extensions? (Or more important) Will floss team have access to those on pair with Catalyst team?
          5) TrueAudio support for Linux?

Michael, can You inquire if Graham will be able to speak about not yet released info? (Yes would be right answer if AMD went so far as to fetch You to the GDC )
          Last edited by przemoli; 28 February 2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
            UE4 demos on the Tegra K1 presentation used "desktop" OpenGL AFAIK.
            It's capable of full OpenGL? Huh...

But still. You'd think that porting UE3 to OpenGL is much easier than porting it to Flash, but you can obviously see what happened...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Looks like AMD is flying me out to San Francisco as they want me at GDC and to meet with Graham.... Anyone have any interesting AMD Linux OpenGL questions they want asked?
              With the arrival of Steam OS on the horizon and the current state of both existing AMD drivers - Catalyst (buggy) and FOSS (Feature incomplete), if AMD were to release Mantle as both an open format and with Linux source code they might have a window of opportunity to really get some traction with the gaming community.

Can you ask AMD if / when the Mantle driver is ported to Linux will it only be in binary format or will the Mantle code be fully opened?

Comment

It's capable of full OpenGL? Huh...

But still. You'd think that porting UE3 to OpenGL is much easier than porting it to Flash, but you can obviously see what happened...
                Tegra k1 has has same kepler as is on desktop gpus. It supports opengles3.0, opengl4.4, directX11 and cuda6.0(maybe opencl 1.1 too).

Ehh ue3 has opengl renderer(heck epic games is even one of the promoters of khronos group) but I think you mean porting UT3 to linux, which never happened.

Comment

Ehh ue3 has opengl renderer(heck epic games is even one of the promoters of khronos group) but I think you mean porting UT3 to linux, which never happened.
                  No, they don't have an official OpenGL renderer in the UE3 upstream (UDK and such) as far as I can tell. All of those renderers that are available are by individual game developers.

Comment

No, they don't have an official OpenGL renderer in the UE3 upstream (UDK and such) as far as I can tell. All of those renderers that are available are by individual game developers.
                    Hmm yeah you are right about that(curse you wikipedia). Even though there are ue3 and udk support for OsX, I'm not seeing any official stand for OpenGL renderer, only dx9/10/11.

Comment

Hmm yeah you are right about that(curse you wikipedia). Even though there are ue3 and udk support for OsX, I'm not seeing any official stand for OpenGL renderer, only dx9/10/11.
                      Does it matter if UE4 is coming out? Won't that replace UE3 or?

Comment

Working...
                      X