No announcement yet.

11-Way Low-End & Older Open-Source GPU Linux Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wolud like if someone with radeon can try to play some video with mplayer using gl video output:

HTML Code:
    mplayer -vo gl some.file
    With 3.14 and 3.13 kernel and to watch CPU usage.

For me in 3.14 CPU utilazation is doubled (45% more) . xv output not affected, but i not use it because of diagonal tearing and subtitles is not good like with gl .

Also in most gl games when some video is played it use more CPU like with that mplayer example .
    Last edited by dungeon; 27 February 2014, 04:17 PM.

Comment

@dungeon

Do you use r600g or radeonsi? r600g shouldn't tear in XV unless you explicitly disabled vsync, glamor, well, its other name is tearing until someone creates a new GL extension.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        @dungeon

Do you use r600g or radeonsi? r600g shouldn't tear in XV unless you explicitly disabled vsync, glamor, well, its other name is tearing until someone creates a new GL extension.
        No i use much more older than that, it is r200 . I can even play 720p videos with subtitles with mplayer wihout tearing on that and Athlon XP with 70-80% CPU usage , but after this 3.14 regression i can't anymore ...

So doesn't metter, if someone want to try to play these with any radeon (i am not sure is there also some difference in CPU usage?) and if it is global regression that is more arguments for me to fill a better bug . For example some of these with kernel 3.13 i 3.14 using gl output:

Code:
        mplayer -vo gl http://samples.ffmpeg.org/game-formats/idroq/jk02.roq
        Is there some difference in CPU usage with 3.13 and 3.14 kernels no metter whatever mesa version is ?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          No i use much more older than that, it is r200 . I can even play 720p videos with subtitles with mplayer wihout tearing on that and Athlon XP with 70-80% CPU usage , but after this 3.14 regression i can't anymore ...
          Sounds like you need to bisect it.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Sounds like you need to bisect it.
            I would like to avoid git bicesting because of compilation time which can easely be numbered by days on Athlon XP .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              I would like to avoid git bicesting because of compilation time which can easely be numbered by days on Athlon XP .
              I did kernel bisecting on my single-core Intel Atom tablet. It gets faster the further you get into bisecting, as fewer files need to be recompiled every time.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I did kernel bisecting on my single-core Intel Atom tablet. It gets faster the further you get into bisecting, as fewer files need to be recompiled every time.
                That sounds to me you write a patch then .

Just kidding... maybe i will do if i got time for that or maybe developers get fixed it in the meantime especially if newer radeons are also affected .

Comment

Working...
                X