Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire Radeon R7 260X: A Great Linux Graphics Card

Phoronix: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X: A Great Linux Graphics Card

For those in the market for an affordable mid-range graphics card that will run just fine on Ubuntu and other Linux distributions while having the choice between the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver and the binary but high-performance Catalyst driver, meet the Sapphire Radeon R7 260X. Our Linux hardware review for today is looking at the Sapphire 100366L Radeon R7 260X 2GB graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I made the horrible mistake of trusting a phoronix article a while ago (that praised ATI's improving Linux support), and bought an ATI card. What a huge mistake. Sold it and bought Nvidia as soon as possible.
    If you want to play AAA games on Linux with the binary driver, get Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      I made the horrible mistake of trusting a phoronix article a while ago (that praised ATI's improving Linux support), and bought an ATI card. What a huge mistake. Sold it and bought Nvidia as soon as possible.
      And what should I do when I need powerful, cheap, power efficient OpenCL card?

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
        And what should I do when I need powerful, cheap, power efficient OpenCL card?
        In this case you need to buy a powerful, cheap, power efficient OpenCL card.

Comment

Its true, on my case its same situation with nvidia, i have testing wine for a time (ATI/AMD-NVIDIA)

And nvidia offers performance at most important thing compatibility

If you want use mining, ATI/AMD is your option

Back to topic its incredible, sapphire provides first amd card to phoronix and amd not send cards to phoronix meanwhile nvidia send cards to phoronix (november)

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

You here are the idiot. Michael over the years has repeatedly stated that he recommends Nvidia for linux if you want serious performance. In this article, he said he recommended this GPU as an upgrade. Just because he's praising the improvements and is satisfied with Sapphire's product, it doesn't mean he's recommending you use AMD products for AAA gaming.

But in the end, linux is not ready yet for serious gaming. It's close, but not even nvidia should convince you otherwise.

Comment

Good to see power consumption graphs. The GT 610 and the APU win hands down, so it makes me wonder how the R7 240, R5 240, R5 235X and R5 210 would fare in comparison... Their TDPs aren't that different.

Comment

At present, AMD's open source driver should run every game except Natural Selection 2 and Metro: Last Light just fine from what I understand. By the time more games that push the graphical frontiers arrive on Linux, the open source driver, at the rate at which it has been improving, should be quite capable.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  But in the end, linux is not ready yet for serious gaming.
                  I, and many more people do serious gaming on GNU/Linux. Like you would say: "Your point?".

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Good to see power consumption graphs. The GT 610 and the APU win hands down, so it makes me wonder how the R7 240, R5 240, R5 235X and R5 210 would fare in comparison... Their TDPs aren't that different.
                    On this amd card especially r5 235x and before, you must be carefully because this cards: on r5 235x, r5 235, r5 230 this card is HD6450 (160 shaders / 4 rops) renamed (only differ on stock clocks for example r5 235 stay on 775mhz and r5 235x stay on 875mhz)

And r5 220 is HD5450 renamed (80 shaders / 4 rops)

this links have information about this cards (thanks to gpuboss for information)

Only r5 for this moment have gcn arquitecture is r5 240 if dont appear some radeon vliw4 renamed card

Comment

Working...
                    X