Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Is Still Killing AMD Over Linux OpenGL Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA Is Still Killing AMD Over Linux OpenGL Performance

Back in November I published my review of the AMD Radeon R9 290 on Linux. This high-end AMD Radeon "Hawaii" graphics card ended up being a wreck on Linux: its performance was devastating. Radeon R9 290X owners have also reported their Linux performance with the Catalyst driver has been less than stellar. In new tests conducted last week with the latest AMD and NVIDIA binary graphics drivers, the high-end AMD GPUs still really aren't proving much competition to NVIDIA's Kepler graphics cards. Here's a new 12 graphics card comparison on Ubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll continue buying NVIDIA then.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
      I'll continue buying NVIDIA then.
      This is still supporting the only company that puts almost 0 effort into any foss projects. And releasing 2d documentation on Kepler does not compare to 6 full time Mesa devs, completely open design documents on all their chipsets, programming manuals, and all their other kernel / coreboot contributions from AMD. I'm almost happy Catalyst sucks so much (albeit those recent showings of how awful glamor is doesn't renew my faith), more incentive to just depreciate the POS and focus on Gallium. It is a much better idea to implement drivers for DRI / KMS than to try to port a massive Windows blob. Especially if you want to see AMD parts in Tablets or low end embedded systems like tvs running Linux, not having to bundle 30 - 50MB of binary blob would be great (for both disk space and memory concerns).

Does the 290 run on Mesa yet? It looks like none of the SI cards get any performance gain beyond some baseline, so I guess if you wanted a gpu something like a 260x or 7770 is your best bet since spending more money won't get you more frames. I saw some 7870s / 270x's hitting $150 around Black Friday last year, if I see them get that low again I might get one.
      Last edited by zanny; 20 January 2014, 12:27 PM.

Comment

But rXXX / RadeonSI kills Nouveau, so everything balances out in a way.

Comment

And I'll buy AMD. (because I use the open drivers)

Now there is balance in the force.

Ok. More on topic. I wonder if AMD will be fixing those performance issues in their binary driver soon because of the steambox?

Also I just looked at the http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...radeonsi&num=1 benchmark results and compared them. (the benchmarks used different cards but)...
          We definitely need a catalyst to open driver comparison. Some of the results make me wonder if the open driver has reached performance parity with catalyst.

Comment

We're customers, not investors. I'll be willing to give AMD some credit only if they officially move majority of resources from Catalyst for Linux to the os driver. It's not like Linux popped up a year ago, you know.
            Last edited by Bucic; 20 January 2014, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Amd sucks on linux desktop but is great on android(adreno). Maybe we should buy tablets and evol, also the radeon cards tested are inferior to the nvidia cards
              Last edited by felipe; 20 January 2014, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I continue to buy nvidia, for me the most important thing, is the game performance and smooth video playback, foss drivers aren't interestings for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                  I continue to buy nvidia, for me the most important thing, is the game performance and smooth video playback, foss drivers aren't interestings for me.
                  linux gamming? Where? The onboard video of I3/I5/i7 should do the job fine of the video playback, but the nvidia is a waste of money for linux gamming, maybe if you use dual bot Win+Linux worth it

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                    You are doing it wrong. If game performance and video playback are the most important things for you, then you need Windows or a console...

Nice trolling attempt though...

Comment

Working...
                    X