NVIDIA Is Still Killing AMD Over Linux OpenGL Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Question for anyone who knows. What's up with this "privative" word? Is that some kind of common slang in europe?
    No it's not. Just a mistake. A common one, but still. I think I've seen it used by a couple of Brasilians before in place of "proprietary" or "closed", so maybe it's a mistranslation from Portuguese. Or maybe I'm just guessing.

Comment

Reverse Psychology?

Nvidia is the only graphics company actively adressing performance of it's cards underneath Linux.

AMD has good drivers, PS4/Sony is somehow getting a great driver for their FreeBSD kernel.

Somebody is lying. I've got an APU -- e450 -- and it just midway through last year got a decent driver where XBMC would play 1080p without stuttering.
      It's a beta driver.
      I had to hack out the watermark. Fantastic!

Quality work.

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
        Hello Carlos,

I often consult your wine video tests on Youtube, you've done a nice job.
        i didn't know exactly how many fps I gained for this games but:

--> injustice: now fullspeed, graphic options max level, without csmt patch
        --> Starwars force unleashed: fullspeed, graphic options max level, without csmt patch
        --> Tomb Raider: I didn't test yet
        --> MORTAL KOMBAT Komplete Edition --> fullspeed, graphic options max level, without csmt patch

Another great improvement: I regularly play Playstation 2 games with PCSX2 emulator.
        One of the PS2 game that needs a very powerfull graphic card is "Shadow of the Colossus".
        AMD 7850: 16 fps
        NVIDIA GTX 770: 40-60 fps
        Metro Last Night linux:
        AMD 7850: too slow even with minimum graphic options
        NVIDIA GTX 770: fullspeed with graphic options at the top
        Thanks for your response

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
          Nice trolling.

Intel drivers suffer random tearing for me, with nvidia I can play metro , serious sam bfe 3, dota 2, half life, counter strike, left 4 dead 2 etc, very smooth, and I have Windows 8.1 too for playing battlefield 4.
          With AMD drivers I can... what you said. (I have heard SS3 has issues I don't know as I don't own that one)

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
            Hello Carlos,

I often consult your wine video tests on Youtube, you've done a nice job.
            i didn't know exactly how many fps I gained for this games but:

--> injustice: now fullspeed, graphic options max level, without csmt patch
            --> Starwars force unleashed: fullspeed, graphic options max level, without csmt patch
            --> Tomb Raider: I didn't test yet
            --> MORTAL KOMBAT Komplete Edition --> fullspeed, graphic options max level, without csmt patch

Another great improvement: I regularly play Playstation 2 games with PCSX2 emulator.
            One of the PS2 game that needs a very powerfull graphic card is "Shadow of the Colossus".
            AMD 7850: 16 fps
            NVIDIA GTX 770: 40-60 fps
            Metro Last Night linux:
            AMD 7850: too slow even with minimum graphic options
            NVIDIA GTX 770: fullspeed with graphic options at the top
            Umm other than the intro base level (no idea why) my 7870 kills MLL at full detail. the 7850 is not that far behind that you couldn't play it with medium detail. I am calling BS on that one. Not to mention you're saying a Nvidia card plays a game that was designed to run on Nvidia cards better is the same as me sayinig my 8 core stomps a dual core in multithread... no $#!7

Comment

Originally posted by Azultra View Post
              I prefer that AMD grants half of its resources to a still maturing FOSS driver than all of its resources to improve Catalyst so it can stand up to nVidia in benchmarks.

If I buy AMD it's not just because of the current (already satisfying) state of the open source drivers but to thank them for their initiative and support it through the end. Once they finish what they started, nVidia will have lost on both fronts and their reward is that AMD should become the best choice by far for Linux.
              They will get bought out first. Let's step back a bit. Let's say the work on the oss driver has been ongoing for 8 years now. What specifically backs the notion that they will catch up with nVidia using the oss driver in, say, 18 months? 18 months because in 18 months the graphics you've just bought will get close to obsolete. And if there's nothing to say they will succeed in 18 months you may as well just DONATE to AMD. Or buy an equally performing nVidia card which will be cheaper and donate the price difference

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                You said it yourself. You have Windows 8.1 ... So i am right. Nuff said...
                get a life, and stop trolling

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Question for anyone who knows. What's up with this "privative" word? Is that some kind of common slang in europe?

I've been seeing it used all over the place recently, from a bunch of different people. It can't be people just copy/pasting, i don't think.
                  I've only seen the term being used by the "pinguinpc" person. Just repeated a whole lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                    We're customers, not investors. I'll be willing to give AMD some credit only if they officially move majority of resources from Catalyst for Linux to the os driver. It's not like Linux popped up a year ago, you know.
                    You can be both. Three possibilities: Either you are fine with supporting the status quo and keep doing whatever you do, or you are not and try to change it or you don't care.

So I take it you will not buy a fairphone until it actually is 100% fair, right?

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
                    Intel drivers suffer random tearing for me,
                    Try using a real? window manager like kwin and set vsync to repaint the full screen every time. There's some explanation why this is actually intel's preferred method of repainting the screen that you can google if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                      Who cares? I want results! I didn't bought my hardware to support politics. I bought it to play games...
                      Then why even use Linux? It is so easy to just be in the Windows world, where the NSA can spy on you and you have to pay the same company every couple years to get the latest versions of the same software. Where if you don't like the network traffic algorithm, you kind of have to deal with it because the whole OS is a black box.

Same can be said of gpus - oh, your hardware is old. So we're not supporting it anymore. Have fun! Or, a new API comes out - like opencl - oh hey, yeah, we're a competitor, we're not going to support it. Or maybe we are going to do software crippling of certain hardware parts to make larger margins with the same silicon. Such an easy way to raise profits, and if the drivers are blobs and undocumented, hey, not like you can do anything about it right?

Or your parts don't work with non-Android kernels. Because our driver is a big fat blob of who knows what running on your cpu. But hey, its convenient, so why care? Or more appropriately, its convenient until it isn't, at which point you are absolutely fucked.

Comment

Working...
                      X