Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad-Monitor AMD/NVIDIA Linux Gaming: What You Need To Know

Phoronix: Quad-Monitor AMD/NVIDIA Linux Gaming: What You Need To Know

The multiple monitor experience on Linux traditionally was very arcane and difficult; it would involve editing text configuration errors, trial-and-error, picking the right Linux GPU driver, and various other steps to get a working multi-monitor desktop. Since then there's been RandR 1.2+ and major improvements to all of the important Linux desktop graphics drivers -- both open and closed-source. How is the Linux multi-monitor now when using a modern distribution and the latest graphics cards that can drive four monitors simultaneously? Let's find out! Up for testing today are NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards using both the open and closed-source drivers while using DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI displays.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great article Michael.

On the subject, have you seen anyone using 4 monitors? I think it is not practical, you have to have a central monitor while the rest to be auxiliary.

Comment

Long story short:

Nvidia binary blob: Everything works perfectly.
      Catalyst binary blob: Everything almost works perfectly
      Radeon open driver: Everything will be perfect if it were faster
      Nouveau: Everything will be perfect if it could actually even start to work.

On the subject, have you seen anyone using 4 monitors? I think it is not practical, you have to have a central monitor while the rest to be auxiliary.
      4 monitors for gaming is the norm for gamers where I live.

Comment

What I'd like to see is how the Intel driver handles multi-monitor setups. Not so much the performance, but if it works, what GPU generation works the best (or at all) and any problems it may have.

Comment

Great article Michael. It's been a while since one of these was posted on here, with actual research and commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            4 monitors for gaming is the norm for gamers where I live.
            Idk, for me (and people I know) 3 is the norm, either in longways (5760 x 1080) or vertical (3240 x 1920). I couldn't stand having a bezel in the middle of my view :/ Terrible for FPS's

Mind you, any gaming I do is on Windows, so not had any issues with Eyefinity and games there.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
              Idk, for me (and people I know) 3 is the norm, either in longways (5760 x 1080) or vertical (3240 x 1920). I couldn't stand having a bezel in the middle of my view :/ Terrible for FPS's

Mind you, any gaming I do is on Windows, so not had any issues with Eyefinity and games there.
              Terrible for FPS yes.

But amazing for RTS and huge, sprawling MMOs.

Comment

Great article Michael, very well done!

Comment

Michael you Reeeaaaaallllyyyy NEEEEEEEEEEEEED on of those new 4k Dell monitors for your setup.

Comment

I think AMD specifically says that you need 3 identical monitors if you want to connect more than two of them using DVI/HDMI. If you don't use identical monitors, that is unsupported and it may or may not work.

Comment

Working...
                    X