Quad-Monitor AMD/NVIDIA Linux Gaming: What You Need To Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nikiiv View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong (and I probably am) but I thought that nvidia does not support more then 3 monitors and they actually withdrew 4 monitor support in Linux a month ago? The article was here on phoronix..
    How did you connect those monitors - One display port, two via DVI and one via HDMI?
    I have 4 monitors but I can actually use 3 of them using Intel's video in my Haswell i7 CPU.
    It works great but I am really up to shell some $$$ for an NVIDIA card but I gave up when I read that NVIDIA does not support 4 monitors..
    On Kepler cards you can do up to 4 monitors on a single card.

Pre-Kepler you can only do 2 monitors on a single card and up to 3 monitors across two cards.

Comment

I wonder if anybody knows... Can you have multiple GPUs from different vendors running at the same time across different monitors to display a single desktop? E.g., on Windows you can put two displays on an NVIDIA card and one on the Intel IGP and share windows across all three displays as a single desktop.

Comment

It's nice to see what can be done but this 4 monitors combined setup for gaming... I don't know. Actually, was it even back in DooM 1 times that you could use 3 for a left and right view? Anyway, this setup with the big black cross in the middle. I mean, these monitors don't blend into each other, they still have physical frames which are always in your view. I find that a bit distracting. It reminds me of old Dune 1 (that adventure/strategy game on CDROM vor DOS back in the days) where they had actual video footage on it but in horiz. and vertical. interlaced mode with black lines. So even in 320x200 everything was covered in a black grid with little squares of video inbetween.
        It is just unpleasant to look at.
        It makes much more sense to have individual screens, e.g. for different virt. desktops or in industry to control and monitor machines, one computer driving 4 machines and having a monitor for each. But then for me at home it is unaffordable and wastes too much power anyway. Most monitors eat as much power as my whole box on idle.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          When you are rendering to huge buffers you also tend to run out of vram so buffers may end up ping-ponging between vram and system memory from frame to frame. Improving the buffer placement heuristics in the open source driver would probably help a lot in vram limited cases.
          On it, just wait a few months :P

Comment

Yes it is.
            Any ETA for DRI3 radeon support? Weeks? Months? A whole year?
            Considering the infrastructure is already in place it shouldn't take a big effort am I right?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Good job

I just wanted to say this: Great article Michael!

Relevant problem, good research, useful information. Everything I expected!

--Coder

Comment

If you want to use more than two monitors, the additional monitors have to be DP. If you try again with 2 DVI/HDMI and 2 DP monitors it should work. Catalyst enforces this requirement.
                Is this only enforced in Catalyst on Linux? Because AMD said during R9 290X launch that you can use three DVI/HDMI monitors as long as they are identical.

(Image via: sweclockers)

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I wonder if anybody knows... Can you have multiple GPUs from different vendors running at the same time across different monitors to display a single desktop? E.g., on Windows you can put two displays on an NVIDIA card and one on the Intel IGP and share windows across all three displays as a single desktop.
                  see: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ulti-gpu-works!

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    Is this only enforced in Catalyst on Linux? Because AMD said during R9 290X launch that you can use three DVI/HDMI monitors as long as they are identical.

(Image via: sweclockers)
                    See the link previously posted:

On SI and previous cards there are 2 multi-use PLLs and 1 DP-only PLL. On newer boards (like the 290), there are now 3 multi-use PLLs. I'm not sure what combinations are officially supported off hand in catalyst.

Comment

On SI and previous cards there are 2 multi-use PLLs and 1 DP-only PLL. On newer boards (like the 290), there are now 3 multi-use PLLs. I'm not sure what combinations are officially supported off hand in catalyst.
                      A 3rd PLL would be interesting, I wonder where the limitation that all 3 monitors have to be the same now comes from. Also this may imply that those OEMs which simply reused the 7800/7900 boards do not support the 3rd monitor.

Comment

Working...
                      X