No announcement yet.

Quad-Monitor AMD/NVIDIA Linux Gaming: What You Need To Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW with wayland coming what changes in the whole multi display situation. Will it make it easier or it doesn't matter at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      BTW with wayland coming what changes in the whole multi display situation. Will it make it easier or it doesn't matter at all.
      It won't change a thing. In other news, Wayland will also not cure cancer, or send man to Mars.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        It won't change a thing. In other news, Wayland will also not cure cancer, or send man to Mars.
        If it makes you shave your neckbeard i ll be ok with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          well actually with wayland there will be less roundbaouts and penalties because all wayland cares is the compositor allocate a surface big enough to handle the 4 screens and set the correct outputs, everything else is KMS problem not waylands, with X11 you have lot more initialization and roundabouts everytime you swap each output

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong (and I probably am) but I thought that nvidia does not support more then 3 monitors and they actually withdrew 4 monitor support in Linux a month ago? The article was here on phoronix..
            How did you connect those monitors - One display port, two via DVI and one via HDMI?
            I have 4 monitors but I can actually use 3 of them using Intel's video in my Haswell i7 CPU.
            It works great but I am really up to shell some $$$ for an NVIDIA card but I gave up when I read that NVIDIA does not support 4 monitors..

Comment

Lol wide gap between monitors; that looks very ugly; is unpractical.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                Lol wide gap between monitors; that looks very ugly; is unpractical.
                As said in the article, this was entirely for testing purposes and the rest of the time they're connected to four separate systems on my desk.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

AMD GPUs only have two PLLs which means we can only support two independent non-DP clocks. If you want to use more than two monitors, the additional monitors have to be DP. If you try again with 2 DVI/HDMI and 2 DP monitors it should work. Catalyst enforces this requirement. On radeon we allow PLL sharing where it's possible (e.g., multiple panels with the same clock) which is why it works there. That has it's own limitations however. E.g., if you try and change to a configuration that requires more than two PLLs, the modeset will fail.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    AMD GPUs only have two PLLs which means we can only support two independent non-DP clocks. If you want to use more than two monitors, the additional monitors have to be DP. If you try again with 2 DVI/HDMI and 2 DP monitors it should work. Catalyst enforces this requirement. On radeon we allow PLL sharing where it's possible (e.g., multiple panels with the same clock) which is why it works there. That has it's own limitations however. E.g., if you try and change to a configuration that requires more than two PLLs, the modeset will fail.
                    Good to know. Michael, maybe you could quote this in the article?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                      Great article Michael.

On the subject, have you seen anyone using 4 monitors? I think it is not practical, you have to have a central monitor while the rest to be auxiliary.
                      Depends on the use case. For spanning one app, ya you would want to have a central monitor in most cases. For other items like having an extended desktop and running multiple applications, you really don't need it.

It all depends on your layout. I have all four of mine hooked up to a development system to a Titan. For the kind of work that I'm doing the even amount of monitors are fine.

(One other thing about the article, while Tyke stands are cheap in Amazon.com, they are just as expensive as the Ergotrons outside the US).

Comment

Working...
                      X