Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27-Way NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Card Benchmarks On Linux

Phoronix: 27-Way NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Card Benchmarks On Linux

After last week delivering a 21-way graphics card comparison on Linux using the open-source Intel, Radeon, and NVIDIA (Nouveau) graphics drivers, this week at Phoronix we have a 27-way graphics card. This time around all of the graphics cards were tested using the closed-source/proprietary AMD Catalyst and NVIDIA graphics drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have you tried this for fglrx-legacy: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...23425#poststop ?

Comment

tl;dr
      $320 gtx 770 performing 20-30%+ better than $410 r9 290
      $240 gtx 760 performing +/- 5% of 290

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        tl;dr
        $320 gtx 770 performing 20-30%+ better than $410 r9 290
        $240 gtx 760 performing +/- 5% of 290
        did you compare the 4GB RAM versions of both cards?

Comment

Ok, so the 770 looks like the best buy right now for a higher end card on Linux.

Comment

opencl benchmark

Nice work Michael!

It would be nice to see luxmark benchmark in the list too.
            It's a very important opencl benchmark to show the gpu power.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              did you compare the 4GB RAM versions of both cards?
              Does it seem to make a difference in performance?

Comment

Originally posted by extraymond View Post
                It would be nice to see luxmark benchmark in the list too.
                It's a very important opencl benchmark to show the gpu power.
                That would be one benchmark running a fairly static function. All you would have is an indicator of it's "gpu power" for luxmark and nothing more. That's just a little better then using glxgears to show openGL performance.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  That would be one benchmark running a fairly static function. All you would have is an indicator of it's "gpu power" for luxmark and nothing more. That's just a little better then using glxgears to show openGL performance.
                  As long as we can have luxmark result, I really don't mind the form to display it <3
                  I'm thinking luxmark cos that is one remarkable benchmark people can have to imagine performance like bitcoin or opencl rendering and so on.

Comment

Thanks Michael for this great testing. Hopefully next time we can the Performance-per-Watt comparison, too.

For a owner of R9 270X as me, I'm not very concern about Catalyst gaming performance now.

As benchmarks show, Catalyst clearly either hits a cap or has a huge gap behind GeForce.
                    But as long as it's still sits above 60FPS, it won't affect real world game experience much.

Surely it also sits behind in all Unigine powered benchmark AND below 60FPS.
                    Well, I can easily low GFX setting a bit in Oil Rush to reach 60FPS, which is the only Unigine powered native Linux game I have.

Comment

Working...
                    X