Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra HD 4K Linux Graphics Card Testing

Phoronix: Ultra HD 4K Linux Graphics Card Testing

If you've been eyeing a purchase of a 4K "Ultra HD" TV this holiday season and will be connecting it to a Linux system, here's the information that you need to know for getting started and some performance benchmarks to set the expectations for what you can expect. This article has a number of AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce benchmarks when running various Linux OpenGL workloads at a resolution of 3840 x 2160.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The 120Hz
    Although Amazon lists this as 120Hz, I am fairly sure when running at 4k, this monitor can only do 30hz...
    At four times the resolution of 1080P, 4K looks unbelievable, but can you afford it? Surprisingly, yes.

"till, there are a couple of key caveats here. DO NOT buy this TV for gaming. While Amazon lists its hz rate at 120, this is not true for 4K. This display can only output 4K at 30hz which is not zippy enough for most games, but it should be fine for movies. "

Comment

Is there ANY consumer-grade 4K tv that can output 120hz right now ? Does the 20k$ samsung 84" does it ? I seriously doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
        Is there ANY consumer-grade 4K tv that can output 120hz right now ? Does the 20k$ samsung 84" does it ? I seriously doubt it.
        The only gamign 4k display right now AFAIK is this one: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PQ321Q-31.../dp/B00DJ4BIKA

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
            Can you even output 4K 120Hz with DP?

Comment

Would be very interesting to see

How well this works with most popular GUI managers like Gnome 2, 3, KDE, etc, and if there is any improvement when it comes to video.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                Can you even output 4K 120Hz with DP?
                Yes, with DP it should work.

Lets face it, the current state of high rez monitors is miserable enough for AMD to finally push a solution now called VESA Display ID v1.3.

Comment

The only issue to report on the AMD side with the Catalyst Linux driver was small white artifacts appearing
                  Pic or it didn't happen

Also, the dividers in the hardware chart for "display driver" and "opengl" are not showing for me. I'm not sure if this is a monitor/browser/website issue. Anyone else experience this?

Judging by the Unigine benchmarks, it looks like 4K will be giving Nvidia and AMD new reasons to innovate and improve graphics cards both in hardware and software.

Comment

It'd be very interesting to have a look at screenshots of Unigine Heaven or Valley, to get an idea of how current 3D generally looks on 4k.

Comment

Working...
                    X