No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce 700 Series On Linux Run Excellent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't suppose you have a non-Ti 780 sitting around?

It's a little different card from the 780 Ti, cause it's got a couple of parts of the GPU disabled.

Comment

Now imagine what happens, when NVIDIA starts optimizing their Linux drivers for certain games like they do on Windows. They managed to get out +50% more performance in Metro:LL with the latest Windows driver that was just released a few days ago.

Download the English (US) GeForce 331.82 Driver for Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit systems. Released 2013.11.19

Performance Boost ? Increases performance by up to 50% for GeForce 400/500/600/700 series GPUs in several PC games vs. GeForce 331.65 WHQL-certified drivers. Results will vary depending on your GPU and system configuration. Here is one example of measured gains:

GeForce GTX 770/780/TITAN/780Ti:
      Up to 50% in Metro: Last Light
      Up to 26% in Crysis 3
      Up to 18% in Battlefield 4

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Now imagine what happens, when NVIDIA starts optimizing their Linux drivers for certain games like they do on Windows. They managed to get out +50% more performance in Metro:LL with the latest Windows driver that was just released a few days ago.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/70184/en-us
        It is marketing... NVIDIA-provided numbers... you should actually try it out and see the performance improvement by yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          It is marketing... NVIDIA-provided numbers... you should actually try it out and see the performance improvement by yourself.
          I think it was sli profile updates and 4k resolution, there was very poor sli scaling i.e. metro LL:
          When running at 4K resolutions, SLI performance increases by as much as 50% in key titles like Metro: Last Light, Crysis 3, and Battlefield 4.

Comment

I want to use AMD cards for the open source drivers but when cheaper Nvidia cards offer better performance then I find it really hard to justify. At what point do you guys I think I can buy an AMD card and see acceptable performance with the open source drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
              I want to use AMD cards for the open source drivers but when cheaper Nvidia cards offer better performance then I find it really hard to justify. At what point do you guys I think I can buy an AMD card and see acceptable performance with the open source drivers?
              I think will take at least another year. You can only justify buying an AMD card for Linux now if you are a massive fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                I think will take at least another year. You can only justify buying an AMD card for Linux now if you are a massive fanboy.
                Thank you very much for your response. I have never owned an AMD card so I can't speak of any fanboyism. I just seek performance using what hopefully are open source drivers which Nvidia is unlikely to provide, although the company does provide documentation for Nouveau now last I read. I can hold out another year, methinks. Thanks again for the info!

Comment

Working...
                X