AMD Radeon R9 290 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
    I currently have a GTX 570. When I upgrade sometime in the future, I want to buy an AMD card and use the open source drivers. How soon do you guys think I can do so and see similar if not better performance from an AMD card that came after the GTX 570?
    I feel so ignored.

Comment

I feel so ignored.
      Maybe that is because you tried to hijack a thread about something else? Phoronix publishes many benchmarks and if you don't find an answer among them, start your own thread. (And if you demonstrate that you actually researched about this question first, then maybe you get a reply there.)

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        Maybe that is because you tried to hijack a thread about something else? Phoronix publishes many benchmarks and if you don't find an answer among them, start your own thread. (And if you demonstrate that you actually researched about this question first, then maybe you get a reply there.)
        I believe my question to be well within the margin of this topic. I have also done plenty of research elsewhere but am not as technically capable as many of you here and I find it easy to get lost with all the updates that occur to the drivers. I mean, look, just answering my question would have been shorter than to write everything you did. A mere time frame would have been a couple of words, and thus I am shocked at the lack of help.

Comment

I currently have a GTX 570. When I upgrade sometime in the future, I want to buy an AMD card and use the open source drivers. How soon do you guys think I can do so and see similar if not better performance from an AMD card that came after the GTX 570?
          Lets approximate:
          about 3-5 months till newer PM stabilizes,
          about 3-12 months till SI becomes usable,
          at least 6 more months till that ecosystem is pushed into mainstream distros.

9-18 months for the SI card, me think.

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
            We're entering summer here down under in a couple of weeks. I've decided to customise the cooling of R9-290X so it can perform better under the Aussie heat.

Unfortunately all the after-market air-coolers take more than 2 slots. I can only afford two slots as all the other slots are taken up by cards.
            I emailed Sapphire, Gigabyte, HIS and XFX if they were willing to sell me their custom coolers once they are released and so far only Sapphire has responded with a flat no advising I will have to buy another card.

So looks like I will have to go watercooling again. I've been trying to avoid watercooling as the last one I did (4yrs ago) was too high maintenance and restrictive (due to tubing and fittings all around the place, harder to just pull stuff out and replace/experiment/tweak). Also now I got barely any room within my case due to a Noctua D14. oh well, I suppose I'll end up enjoying the "tinkering-around" once I start it.

Another option, I just sell it now and recover as much as I can and get a 780 Ti. LoL

But, I'm betting AMD will come out in force with the cavalry from 1H of next year due to market forces from the ubiquitous SteamOS/SteamMachines. And eventually Mantle enabled and supported games on Linux...
            Get a waterblock for it and run the hoses to a radiator outside of the case. Put a manifold on it it to split it off ant run liquid to the CPU as well. You can either DIY which is a fairly involved process or you can buy premade parts like 9x120 radiators, reservoir tanks, compression fittings etc. Just remember to use a passive silver coil for antibacterial help on top of any active UV or chemical treatments.

Comment

Working...
            X