Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Linux Gaming Performance Mostly On Par With Windows 8.1

Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux Gaming Performance Mostly On Par With Windows 8.1

Given the recent release of Microsoft Windows 8.1, at Phoronix we took 13 different AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards and compared the performance between Ubuntu Linux and Windows 8.1 with the same hardware and set of OpenGL games/benchmarks. For AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards with their official drivers, the performance is largely similar between the competing desktop operating systems but there are some performance exceptions.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19257

• Gps4l
    replied
    Originally posted by psychok9 View Post

have you tried other games like the ones on Steam?
    Yes, and they work fine, but not LFD2.

Half life, half life 2, portal. TF2

And doom 3 ( which I had to compile myself )

Leave a comment:

• psychok9
    replied
    Originally posted by synaptix View Post
    The latest Catalyst beta (V6) improves OpenGL performance quite massively. I'm playing Team Fortress 2 on Xubuntu 13.10 x86_64 with the latest beta on an HD6450 1GB DDR3 and my performance is pretty much same as was on Windows.
    You mean 13.11 Beta (10/25/2013) ?

Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
    Since a month or two ago, Serious Same 3 runs as good on Linux as on Windows.
    Maybe even a bit better.

W7 vs openSUSE 12.3 HD5750
    have you tried other games like the ones on Steam?

Leave a comment:

• Gps4l
    replied
    In the end, the best driver for video games are the binary of nVidia?
    Would you recommend buying a GeForce 770 then?
    AMD binaries seems not optimized for GNU/Linux...
    Thx
    Since a month or two ago, Serious Same 3 runs as good on Linux as on Windows.
    Maybe even a bit better.

W7 vs openSUSE 12.3 HD5750

Leave a comment:

• synaptix
    replied
    The latest Catalyst beta (V6) improves OpenGL performance quite massively. I'm playing Team Fortress 2 on Xubuntu 13.10 x86_64 with the latest beta on an HD6450 1GB DDR3 and my performance is pretty much same as was on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• psychok9
    replied
    In the end, the best driver for video games are the binary of nVidia?
    Would you recommend buying a GeForce 770 then?
    Thx

Leave a comment:

• fanATic
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    There are only two markets where microsoft is usually better than Linux: desktop and office.
    And pretty much everything else, music, video etc.

In any other market Linux just owns it
    Servers (LAMP), supercomputers.

Leave a comment:

• Vim_User
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    In my experience Windows tends to have better performance consistency. On Linux I'll be getting 170fps one day and the next day I come back and I can barely hold 40fps. It's like, "What just happened here? Did a setting get flipped somewhere?"
    If your distro's performance is that inconsistent I would consider a switch.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    In my experience Windows tends to have better performance consistency. On Linux I'll be getting 170fps one day and the next day I come back and I can barely hold 40fps. It's like, "What just happened here? Did a setting get flipped somewhere?"

Leave a comment:

• bh192012
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    Too bad you are still using these not very demanding games for benchmarking. I would like to see some more demanding games used for benchmarking. Steam and Source engine are available on GNU/Linux and phoronix is still using Openarena for benchmarking, lol.
    Yeah, it seems there were too many cards tested and not enough game diversity. Not sure if it's an option but I believe The Dark Mod still has the old quake benchmarking commands available in it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X