Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does The AMD Radeon R9 290X Work On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has he tried to contact someone at AMD for this and got rejected? Maybe he was accidentally dropped from an spreadsheet...

Comment

Originally posted by trougnouf View Post
      It's a lot easier to act like a journalist when given products to review.

Of course Michael should point out that AMD does not provide him with any material! They already get a lot of publicity from his reviews; he is the only person benchmarking graphics card on Linux, most Linux gamers wouldn't even consider getting one of their cards without his data that shows how decent they are. I strongly support AMD but I sure as heck am not going to blindly purchase a card with no idea whatsoever of how it performs against a similarly priced NVidia GPU.

I can't think of any way he could be nicer to AMD, he buys their product retail even though they don't support him at all, offer them the only publicity Linux users get, and he isn't even really bashing them! He is offering them pure profit, sending him a sample of some graphic cards is nothing compared to what goes into the salary of the marketing department and even their Linux drivers developers, yet they are pretty much wasting those salaries by not giving Linux users any incentive to purchase their cards.
      You on the other hand just sound like an unappreciative jerk. The content Michael creates for this website is very valuable and informative to myself and many others, and I couldn't thank him enough for all the efforts he puts into it.
      First off I appologize for misspelling his name I have multiple Michael's in my family and the ea/ae dlops back and forth on a whim from relative to relative.

Sure AMD gets publicity from his reviews, but they would get a lot more if he actually bothered to even scratch the surface of why or how things preform the way they do in comparison to other cards. Instead he only posts graphs and single sentence blurbs because its quick and easy. If four out of five articles posted here weren't just link bate or link spam to past articles Michael may actually grab some credibility so AMD would trust to give him cards to review. Articles that do nothing but link to other articles or sites controlled by Michael, which of course are filled to the brim with ads, do nothing to make him look good.

He could be nicer to AMD by taking advantage of the automated regression testing he claims to have added to PTS. He could be nicer by not whining every time he doesn't get a review unit of a new product. He could also in general put more effort into his articles rather than posting 5 a day of link spam, he'd most likely get more hits himself and thus ad revenue too.

The linux market AMD and Nvidia Care about is the enterprise market, people who buy Quadro, Tesla, and FireGL/FirePro cards. Consumer desktop linux support is just a nice side effect of supporting Compute workloads and software like Seimans NX, Real3d, Maya and others. Gaming and fancy Compiz effects are nice side effects but they aren't where the money is to be made. That said the SteamOS stuff may change that but until then I don't expect AMD to spend a cent to support linux desktop users, I'm glad they do and will continue to buy their hardware because they do, but I know its a drop in the bucket.

Now I'm glad there is at least somewhere that takes the time to post these benchmarks and test the hardware but I would be an idiot to not demand more. Michael does nothing but half ass his articles and then complain when he isn't taken seriously. If he wants to be taken seriously by the Linux community and companies like AMD and Nvidia he needs actually put some effort into his articles and take pride in them, not just post 5 links to past articles and his anzwix crap. The ratio of links to sentances approaches one in far to many of the articles here and it makes it damn clear all Michael cares about is page rank and ad revenue, not the content of the post itself. Compare his posts to articles posted on lwn or tomshardware and see how many you can find that have more 7 out of 8 sentances linking to other articles on the site.

That said who wants to place bets this is Michael or someone paid by Michael to post this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonimus View Post
        First off I appologize for misspelling his name I have multiple Michael's in my family and the ea/ae dlops back and forth on a whim from relative to relative.

Sure AMD gets publicity from his reviews, but they would get a lot more if he actually bothered to even scratch the surface of why or how things preform the way they do in comparison to other cards. Instead he only posts graphs and single sentence blurbs because its quick and easy. If four out of five articles posted here weren't just link bate or link spam to past articles Michael may actually grab some credibility so AMD would trust to give him cards to review. Articles that do nothing but link to other articles or sites controlled by Michael, which of course are filled to the brim with ads, do nothing to make him look good.

He could be nicer to AMD by taking advantage of the automated regression testing he claims to have added to PTS. He could be nicer by not whining every time he doesn't get a review unit of a new product. He could also in general put more effort into his articles rather than posting 5 a day of link spam, he'd most likely get more hits himself and thus ad revenue too.

The linux market AMD and Nvidia Care about is the enterprise market, people who buy Quadro, Tesla, and FireGL/FirePro cards. Consumer desktop linux support is just a nice side effect of supporting Compute workloads and software like Seimans NX, Real3d, Maya and others. Gaming and fancy Compiz effects are nice side effects but they aren't where the money is to be made. That said the SteamOS stuff may change that but until then I don't expect AMD to spend a cent to support linux desktop users, I'm glad they do and will continue to buy their hardware because they do, but I know its a drop in the bucket.

Now I'm glad there is at least somewhere that takes the time to post these benchmarks and test the hardware but I would be an idiot to not demand more. Michael does nothing but half ass his articles and then complain when he isn't taken seriously. If he wants to be taken seriously by the Linux community and companies like AMD and Nvidia he needs actually put some effort into his articles and take pride in them, not just post 5 links to past articles and his anzwix crap. The ratio of links to sentances approaches one in far to many of the articles here and it makes it damn clear all Michael cares about is page rank and ad revenue, not the content of the post itself. Compare his posts to articles posted on lwn or tomshardware and see how many you can find that have more 7 out of 8 sentances linking to other articles on the site.

That said who wants to place bets this is Michael or someone paid by Michael to post this?
        It's already been covered numerous times why I need to write more articles than less, if you want the site to still be around. You can look at H-Online, Linux Devices, Kernel Trap, and numerous other Linux sites, and now TuxMachines is the most recent collapse I've heard of, why the Linux market is different and that I'm doing the best I can with my resources.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

FFS guys don't turn this into a bash Mike thread. If you don't like his site stop reading it. Is it really that hard to read headline -> skip articles you aren't interested in -> move along, and still get someone covering Linux hardware in depth like this?

Comment

I guess we just have different expectations, I was really impressed when I realized that Michael was pretty much the only source of content on this website. I wouldn't compare Phoronix to something as huge as Tomshardware (I haven't been on that website much but even the smaller french website pcinpact has a whole bunch of authors) but it still fills all my need for Linux/PC/gaming news.

This isn't a throwaway account (you can google me), if this was someone paid by Michael I would either be friend with him/post here often or post a bunch of biased crap all over the internet.

Comment

For the sake of argument, assume that the way Michael runs Phoronix presently occupies every available second of his life, and that there is no possible way he can increase the effort he puts into the site. Also for the sake of argument assume that Phoronix makes just enough revenue to sustain Michael's endeavors and not a penny more, so hiring outside help is out of the question as well. With that in mind, we then assume that there is no way that anything can be added to Phoronix without something else being taken away. So, based on that premise, what is your specific suggestion for how Michael can improve Phoronix?

Comment

Originally posted by trougnouf View Post
                It's a lot easier to act like a journalist when given products to review.
                You don't know Larabel's history, he's openly attacked hardware manufacturers over conversations that sound like he was having with the bottom level phone techs in India.

He refuses to run tests that are far more relevant then what he does simply because they can't be automated in PTS. This leaves only Unigine as a relevant benchmark.

His testing methodology is broken, always going with a broken default that no user would bother using if they where going to game on the OSS drivers. People who use the OSS drivers are generally more savvy then those that are using the blob drivers installed for them via their distro ala the Ubuntu Additional Drivers app. On top of that Linux users are more savvy then Windows users, thus they would think to look it up or ask on a forum or IRC for help.

What Linux needs badly is a real hardware journalist, because Larabel ain't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                  For the sake of argument, assume that the way Michael runs Phoronix presently occupies every available second of his life, and that there is no possible way he can increase the effort he puts into the site. Also for the sake of argument assume that Phoronix makes just enough revenue to sustain Michael's endeavors and not a penny more, so hiring outside help is out of the question as well. With that in mind, we then assume that there is no way that anything can be added to Phoronix without something else being taken away. So, based on that premise, what is your specific suggestion for how Michael can improve Phoronix?

You are assuming far too much of Larabel, he's not working his fingers to the bone every day at the keyboard thats for sure, it seems more like he doesn't take his own site seriously. If he did he wouldn't let so many stories pass him by on a daily basis.

Theres all of the software news, server news, Android/Sailfish/Ubuntu Phone news, OSS hardware projects, patent stupidity cases that affect us directly or indirectly and so on and so fourth. If Larabel wanted to make more money off the site and was actually willing to put in the work he could easily have 5x the number or articles in a week of actual content.

Not to mention all of the closed source Linux software out there, I'd love to see a series done of the closed source music and movie editing software and compatible hardware on Linux, sadly Larabel doesn't do these either.

Interviews with devs and businessmen that make or use Linux and/or OSS software, these can be very interesting, yet they are never done here.

Theres so much Linux gaming gaming news going by without any coverage here outside of the odd posting every month or so. He never talked about Desura at all once he started screaming that "Steam For Linux is coming next week" every week for a solid 3 years before the beta finally came out, even when Valve's own devs said that they had no plans to ever make a client.

The whole thing looked more like Larabel made it up as click bait and by chance alone Valve decided to do it. Gabe made his reasons clear, that it only became an option when he saw Microsoft trying to put an App Store on Windows and thus needed a way to ensure profitability through the future, hence the SteamBox running Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    FFS guys don't turn this into a bash Mike thread. If you don't like his site stop reading it. Is it really that hard to read headline -> skip articles you aren't interested in -> move along, and still get someone covering Linux hardware in depth like this?
                    I would if we had a choice, but we don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      It's already been covered numerous times why I need to write more articles than less, if you want the site to still be around. You can look at H-Online, Linux Devices, Kernel Trap, and numerous other Linux sites, and now TuxMachines is the most recent collapse I've heard of, why the Linux market is different and that I'm doing the best I can with my resources.
                      Then why do you keep shooting yourself in the foot?

Comment

Working...
                      X