Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 On Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 On Linux

This week I featured the first Linux review of an AMD Radeon Rx 200 series graphics card in the form of an AMD Radeon R9 270X "Curacao XT" benchmarked on Ubuntu. If you're looking to buy a new graphics card for use on the Linux desktop but prefer NVIDIA hardware or buying a GPU isn't dependent upon the incomplete RadeonSI driver, being looked at today on Phoronix is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Kepler graphics card.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems to be almost the same as the 550Ti but more power efficient and runs a little bit cooler. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Michael, do you get nvidia products for free?

Comment

Nvidia has a couple of price cuts.

Also good article for building entry level gaming pc using this card:

Several people have asked me for my hardware recommendations for a new Linux gaming machine. I get rather frustrated by PC manufacturers who load computers up with expensive Intel CPUs and extra RAM you don't need, and then forget to include a graphics card. Or they proclaim PC gaming is not dead...
      Last edited by madjr; 23 October 2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Michael, do you get nvidia products for free?
        I bought this one as stated in the article. Only times I ever get free NVIDIA GPUs is actually when their Unix/Linux driver leads (both Andy and Hardy) personally have bought them and let me borrow them (/ long term borrowing as he never seems to ask for them back due to frequently using them for other tests/articles). Even when he's requested their PR/marketing department send out samples, it's generally been a runaround.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

bad graphid card, poor performance

650Ti Boost or 7850 are a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by mum1989 View Post
            bad graphid card, poor performance

650Ti Boost or 7850 are a lot better.
            Actually the GTX 660 is one of the best gfx cards for the price currently.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
              Actually the GTX 660 is one of the best gfx cards for the price currently.
              Yeap. I have that, and it's been the price/performance sweet spot for quite a while.

That said, even though I have that, I'm using Intel drivers at the moment. Hooray for NVIDIA not supporting kernel 3.11...

Comment

I'd rather have a cut-down GTX660 (650Ti) than a glorified GT640 (GT650). The fact that Nvidia tries to pass this card off as a "GTX" is an insult to the other GTX cards. When the price points were stretched out, the GT650 had a niche, but MSI also offers a 650Ti for $90 after rebate, making the GT650 even more pointless now.

Either Nvidia's marketing team didn't put enough thought into their product names or they put way too much thought into confusing/deceiving people. Please Nvidia, let this card die (along with the marketing team).

Comment

Looks like Catalyst and AMD hardware is massively outperforming NVIDIA drivers and hardware in every benchmark, and especially so in OpenCL.

Comment

Why there's no information what graphic settings were used for benchmarks? I want check how my graphic card performs in Unigine Heaven, but how should I know what setting were used?

Comment

Working...
                    X