Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon R9 270X On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Radeon R9 270X

Earlier this month AMD announced the R9 series graphics cards that included the $200 Radeon R9 270X offering based upon the "Curacao XT" graphics core. This Volcanic Islands graphics card in Microsoft Windows benchmarks has been faster than a Radeon HD 7870, but today we have the first Linux test results and compatibility information available. This article serves as our first Linux review of the AMD R9 270X -- or any Rx 200 series graphics card for that matter -- in the form of the Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 2GB.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The open source driver already has support for these cards.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think it makes a ton of sense to run open drivers in their current state on new cards like this, but it would be good to at least get a report of how well they work. I assume they are to the point where you can just expect them to work on the desktop and for quake 3 based games, and it's just slow and lacking new GL3/4 features that are the primary downsides. Right?

Comment

Considering the graph of performance per watt, the AMD's OpenGL driver seems not too bad, actually.

I'm wondering if one could do a similar graph for APUs.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          The open source driver already has support for these cards.
          Yes, but still I'm considering downgrading my 7950
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Yeah, I don't think it makes a ton of sense to run open drivers in their current state on new cards like this, but it would be good to at least get a report of how well they work. I assume they are to the point where you can just expect them to work on the desktop and for quake 3 based games, and it's just slow and lacking new GL3/4 features that are the primary downsides. Right?
            The R9 270X is a pitcairn variant so it's the same so they have the same level of suppor as other SI asics.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              The R9 270X is a pitcairn variant so it's the same so they have the same level of suppor as other SI asics.
              I read somewhere similar stuff. Only the top end R9 280x and R9 290x are the new stuff. The other ones are rebranded and reclocked HD7000s.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                I read somewhere similar stuff. Only the top end R9 280x and R9 290x are the new stuff. The other ones are rebranded and reclocked HD7000s.
                Yeah, looks like Michael wasn't immune to the rebranding BS, got himself another 7xxx series gpu, unfortunately.

Comment

R9 280X (Tahiti XTL) is ist basically a modified 7970 Ghz Edition

The new ones (Hawaii based) will be the R9 290s

Comment

opps wrong thread
                    Last edited by DarkFoss; 22 October 2013, 05:48 PM.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                    X