AMD Catalyst Beats NVIDIA To Linux 3.12 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    I have no problems using 325.15 or even 331.13 on Linux 3.11 on Arch Linux. Right, when 3.11 was released many weeks ago I could use the latest NVIDIA driver with it.
    Was that the stock blob, or the Arch version? I know there is a patch that makes it conform to 3.11, so maybe Arch has it pre-applied.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      NVIDIA's blob does NOT even support Linux 3.11, damn!
      Exactly NVIDIA doesn't even have official support for 3.11 kernel. There is an unnofficial patch but Aaron Platner says it's not good and can cause problems.

My understanding is that the 173.14.* driver can use get_num_physpages() for what it needed num_physpages for, but that this is not correct for one of the two places it is used in more modern drivers, which is why the simple patch hasn't been applied. Our kernel guru is working on a more correct fix.

Aaron Plattner
      NVIDIA Linux Graphics
      Posted 10/01/2013 09:00 PM
      Please don't use the patch linked from the first post in this thread. At the very least, it should use "get_num_physpages()" rather than "get_num_physpages" (note the parentheses) because the latter uses the address of the get_num_physpages function as if it were the number it's supposed to return, which is definitely wrong.

As I mentioned in a different post, just replacing num_physpages with get_num_physpages() isn't quite right for one of the two places NV_NUM_PHYSPAGES is used, so please uses patches that just replace one with the other at your own risk. We're working on a proper solution for Linux 3.11.

Aaron Plattner
      NVIDIA Linux Graphics
      Posted 10/07/2013 02:51 AM

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Was that the stock blob, or the Arch version? I know there is a patch that makes it conform to 3.11, so maybe Arch has it pre-applied.
        Looks like the package is build with a patch.

It was available right from the start so I didn't even notice. Frankly I don't care about kernel support, when distribution makes it work anyway. Never had any issues with NVIDIA drivers on Arch.

Comment

I am VERY impressed... After having a Radeon HD4850 which was always used under the free radeon driver, I had to use Catalyst upon a change of graphic card (bought a HD 7870). I must say that I haven't had an horrendous experience with Catalyst with this card but there were those minor problems that annoy you A LOT (e.g. Source games lags), so I switched to the open source radeonsi driver. I hope all those nasty bugs get solved too but I think I will not be returning to Catalyst except where absolutely necessary (I currently have a dual boot to another Kubuntu system with Catalyst so that I can use the games that don't work well currently).

Comment

Not working...

The 13.11 beta 1 catalyst driver does not work here!
            From the log:
            Code:
            Supported adapter detected.
            Check if system has the tools required for installation.
            Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/13.20.16/source ->
                             /usr/src/fglrx-13.20.16

DKMS: add completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
            cleaning build area....
            cd /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/13.20.16/build; sh make.sh --nohints --uname_r=3.12.0-rc5-2.Virt_hyperv-desktop --norootcheck......(bad exit status: 1)
            [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-13.20.16 with DKMS
            [Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-13.20.16 from DKMS

------------------------------
            Deleting module version: 13.20.16
            completely from the DKMS tree.
            ------------------------------
            Done.
            [Reboot] Kernel Module : mkinitrd
            I will try without DKMS but not hoping for something else...
            openSUSE 12.3 x64 here, Kernel-desktop 3.12 rc5, Xserver 1.14.3, Radeon HD 5850

Comment

Well as I said above... The log without DKMS installed:

Code:
              Supported adapter detected.
              Check if system has the tools required for installation.
              Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
              Unloading radeon module...
              ERROR: Module radeon is in use
              Unloading drm module...
              ERROR: Module drm is in use by radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
              [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
              [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
              [Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
              AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
              doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
              rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
              make -C /lib/modules/3.12.0-rc5-2.Virt_hyperv-desktop/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
              make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.12.0-rc5-2.Virt_hyperv-obj/x86_64/desktop'
                CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
              /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ?KCL_GetEffectiveUid?:
              /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1750:5: error: incompatible types when returning type ?kuid_t? but ?KCL_TYPE_Uid? was expected
              /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1754:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
              make[4]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
              make[3]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
              make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
              make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
              make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.12.0-rc5-2.Virt_hyperv-obj/x86_64/desktop'
              make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
              build failed with return value 2
              [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.
              [Reboot] Kernel Module : mkinitrd
              Dunno how Michael did it, but I couldn't either ways!

Comment

Go AMD now Drop a Wayland Supporting Catalyst and Show them Nvidia users how its Done!!!

Comment

Why the hell does the kernel change so much?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Because if the developers get something wrong they want to be able to fix their mistake. Also they dont want 'abandonware' in the kernel where a third party writes something once, then never re-visits it.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                      because it is actually developed and updated and fixed

Comment

Working...
                      X