Valve Will Release Steam Machines With Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    AMD needs to hire 30 more people for their Linux driver development THIS FUCKING DAY!
    Yes! and its a well know fact you can speedup a pregnancy by using more women :S

(would be nice though).

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    I too, hope that this will lead to Catalyst being fixed.

But I won't be touching these Steamboxes without very very very very favorable reviews. Been burned with AMD graphics (once at work and once on my personal PC), not going to fall for it again.
    ... What he said.

Comment

If AMD improves their drivers for Linux, I could buy a graphics card from them. Meanwhile, I'll stick with NVIDIA.

Comment

I love Valve for this... I know that Stallman will never consider SteamBox to be open, but this makes it a dream of openness compared to other consoles. Plus it means that maybe AMD's linux drivers will not fall behind, considering 2 of my 3 PC have AMD inside I'm happy about it.

Comment

AMD has the chance here to become more important. Valve always said they prefer the open drivers by Intel, and AMD has good ones.

Yes! and its a well know fact you can speedup a pregnancy by using more women :S
          If you aim for many children, more women are the way to go. See my point? Truth lies somewhere inbetween.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
            AMD has the chance here to become more important. Valve always said they prefer the open drivers by Intel, and AMD has good ones.

If you aim for many children, more women are the way to go. See my point? Truth lies somewhere inbetween.
            I do... we want more half working features from AMD... quantity above quality all the way!

(Just kidding, point taken)

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
              I do... we want more half working features from AMD... quantity above quality all the way!

(Just kidding, point taken)
              The open drivers work exceptionally well for older cards. Doesn't help the 7XXX owners, but if you had told someone five years ago that you'd today be able to watch full screen hardware accelerated flash HD videos and play Valve's Source Games via native Steam on an integrated AMD graphics card with open source drivers today, most users wouldn't have believed.

The situation is not perfect, but the improvements are definitely there.
              Last edited by Laser; 10 October 2013, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
                The open drivers work exceptionally well for older cards. Doesn't help the 7XXX owners, but if you had told someone five years ago that you'd today be able to watch full screen hardware accelerated flash HD videos and play Valve's Source Games via native Steam on an integrated AMD graphics card with open source drivers today, most users wouldn't have believed.

The situation is not perfect, but the improvements are definitely there.
                Post of the day!
                2013 was a great year for Linux.

Comment

Well basically a SteamBox is just like a system without os or Linux preinstalled. I guess 99% will install Win on such a box, then it would be an OriginBox as well - for the 1 or 2 who like to play BF4

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well basically a SteamBox is just like a system without os or Linux preinstalled. I guess 99% will install Win on such a box, then it would be an OriginBox as well - for the 1 or 2 who like to play BF4
                    Don't count the number of people knowing what an OS is too high...

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                      Looks like there will be no need for Mantle (on Non-Windows platforms): http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-ai...he-bottleneck/
                      There will be a need for Mantle on Linux if Mantle actually catches on. People really don't want to port their engines to two different APIs. Mantle for Linux would make everyone's life easier. And besides, adding vendor extensions to your GL implementation isn't really a solution for anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X