No announcement yet.

Issues with ATI Driver version 8.42.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean, please read carefully the logs and don't blame the new drivers. They really do work, though there are a few things to improve.

Switch into text mode, remove the kernel module, modprobe manually the new version of kernel module and see dmesg to ensure it's ok.

Comment

...and if needed, remove also the drm module from kernel before modprobing the newer version.

Comment

drm is only loaded when radeon/ati was used as driver before, in that case the radeon module is loaded too. when fglrx was used only that module was loaded.

Comment

Switch into text mode, remove the kernel module, modprobe manually the new version of kernel module and see dmesg to ensure it's ok.
          ...and if needed, remove also the drm module from kernel before modprobing the newer version.
          i did all this. (rmmod radeon, rmmod drm, modprobe fglrx , startx)

the driver is compiled against my current kernel.

any more less obvious hints? :]

Comment

Livna updated the drivers and fgl_glxgears works for me. The graphics are still however shaky.

Comment

Kernel 2.6.23 (last Fedora 7 kernel update) breaks direct rendering on all ATI Workstation products. There is no apparent way to work around this problem, because the last ATI distribution to support the FireGL video cards is 8.40.4.

("The ATI Catalyst? Linux software suite 8.42.3 does not support ATI Workstation products. AMD recommends using the AMD Proprietary Linux software driver version 8.40.4.")

<http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.42.3.html

It is rumored that the 8.43 ATI Catalyst release due in December will support (at least some of) the FireGL cards. As of now, the only livna fglrx kernel module that will work on Kernel 2.6.23 is 8.42.3, because of the 2.6.23 kernel API changes. I've tried direct installing - compiling everything from source, but there is no way to avoid the kernel module version incompatibility, as the 8.40.4 fglrx-kmod source RPM will not compile with 2.6.23, i. e.

rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i686 fglrx-kmod-8.40.4-2.2.6.22.9_91.fc7.src.rpm --define 'kvariants ""' --define 'kversion `uname -r`'

will not compile with Kernel 2.6.23 due to the API changes.

So I'm reverting to Kernel 2.6.22.9_91.

Comment

The fglrx driver (8.43) will arrive within November not in December (8.44).

Yoshi, what distro are you using?

Comment

i'm running gentoo [unstable branch]

Comment

Thank you for that example of a working Xorg.conf !!!
                    I'm just not so confident because (in the case of my Sapphire X1950) the thing has several complaints, and I'm not sure it's even satisfied with the Xorg version 7.1.0.0 (Fedora 8 x64) being sufficient, and of course their tuning tool never runs (but I don't have OpenGL to tune yet anyhow...not until I get those errors cleared to that it can start a 'DRM session' whatever that's about in a Linux system with the livna packages installed and make it happy that OpenGL would be compatible with the screen I describe....

Comment

no support in 8.43 for ATI Workstation Products

Catalyst release 8.43 (aka AMD Catalyst? Linux 7.11 Release) arrived on November 21, but alas did not include any support for ATI Workstation Products. So those of us who have FireGL cards are still shut out,
                      since we have no DRI for Linux Kernel 2.6.23+. Let's hope that the next release (AMD Catalyst? Linux 7.12?) will include some code that we can use. Anyone have any insight as to what is happening?

Comment

Working...
                      X