16-Way Graphics Card Comparison On Open-Source Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    I'm not sure what's up with Michael's 6570. It performs much lower than expected on the first 3 pages of tests, and then performs where you would expect it to perform realtive to the other asics on the last 4 pages of tests.
    Alex you've mentioned his (and others) 6570's preforming...oddly a few times in the past. Was the 6570 a particulary buggy (hardware-wise I mean) model of cards? Was there anything 'odd' or different about it compared to the rest of the 6000 series?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by dlang View Post
      I have been running a slightly older AMD card with multiple rotated monitors and i've found that simple text scrolling in an xterm is noticably slow.
      I would at least check first if a different window manager and/or another terminal emulator work any better, just in case it is an obvious programming/configuration issue causing it. Showing 25 lines of text shouldn't be too hard even for an older card, but something like GNOME Shell likely hands off more of the work to the GPU than say, XFCE or Gnome Classic might.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Alex you've mentioned his (and others) 6570's preforming...oddly a few times in the past. Was the 6570 a particulary buggy (hardware-wise I mean) model of cards? Was there anything 'odd' or different about it compared to the rest of the 6000 series?
        To add to the confusion, it seems there are at least 3 models of HD 6570 having different specs. And some specifications are 2 or 3x worse for the 6570 than say the 6770, so I assumed it is simply a budget card, and some of the benchmarks are simply too demanding for it to keep up? The budget end of one GPU series could easily be worse than an average card from the previous series.

Last edited by stevenc; 02 October 2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
          I would at least check first if a different window manager and/or another terminal emulator work any better, just in case it is an obvious programming/configuration issue causing it. Showing 25 lines of text shouldn't be too hard even for an older card, but something like GNOME Shell likely hands off more of the work to the GPU than say, XFCE or Gnome Classic might.
          I experimented with different window managers and terminal emulators, no significant difference

just to note, on a 25 line screen you don't notice that much of an issue, but on a rotated HD screen you fit a lot more than 25 lines, more like 100+

Comment

Originally posted by dlang View Post
            This is a HD6770 card with a pair of HD monitors that I've had for a few years. The card is old enough that the closed source drivers call it unsupported, so I'm looking for a replacement, but don't want to waste money on something that's not an improvement
            I'm not sure why the closed source drivers are calling it unsupported - where are you getting it from? Looking for a a Desktop HD6xxx card for 64-bit linux on the AMD website shows up Catalyst 13.4, with 13.8 in beta form.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
              I'm not sure why the closed source drivers are calling it unsupported - where are you getting it from? Looking for a a Desktop HD6xxx card for 64-bit linux on the AMD website shows up Catalyst 13.4, with 13.8 in beta form.
              the green AMD logo and statement that this is an unsupported card that the closed driver pastes over the bottom right corner of the screen.

Comment

That logo means the card is too new, not too old. Make sure the version of catalyst you are using is 13.4 or 13.8

Comment

Working...
                X