• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by sobkas View Post
    Any more info about that?
    So far it seems probably that Raja mentioned "an upcoming announcement" and someone in the media interpreted "upcoming" as "tomorrow". Knowing Raja if he had meant "tomorrow" he would have said "tomorrow", not "upcoming".

Leave a comment:

• sobkas
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Huh... interesting. I'll see if I can find out whether that's something we said or "just some random guy in the crowd"

Thanks !
    Any more info about that?

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    The point is that the actual low-level AMD side will probably not come to Linux if AMD's track record is any indication.
    What track record? I think the track record says the opposite. To name an example, XvBA API came to Linux rather early, but was limited to select AMD customers.

Even if AMD decides to withhold Mantle on Linux from the general public, they will almost certainly make it available to their embedded/arcade customers in some way.
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    And the people who think that since it's an "open API" it means that NVIDIA and Intel can just jump in, you seem to have no idea what a low-level API is.
    I don't think that anybody reasonably expects that Intel or NVidia are going to support Mantle. It was publicly said that the Mantle API was created specifically for GCN. It seems plausible that it will work very poorly on other graphics architectures.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    I don't see how you come to the conclusion that "will be cross plattform" implies that it is not already cross platform. The game engines mentioned in the Techspot article are under development for all target platforms already, how can they develop without the API?
    The point is that the actual low-level AMD side will probably not come to Linux if AMD's track record is any indication. They never mentioned anything about Linux and OS X, so people saying that it's coming to those platforms are just pulling that out of thin air. When they say "cross-platform" they are probably referring to XB1, PS4 and Windows, where the GCN tech is the same and since the entire context of this discussion is about their console platforms. Even if it does come to, say, SteamOS... don't be surprised if AMD drags its feet like with everything else.

And the people who think that since it's an "open API" it means that NVIDIA and Intel can just jump in, you seem to have no idea what a low-level API is.

Leave a comment:

• Asariati
    replied
    If Mantle is executed well, I will through some money and/or time to support OSS drivers for it

I really really like low level access and killing off abstraction layers

AMD, now please announce prices for R9-290

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    I wonder if Wine used Mantle instead of OpenGL to play Direct3D games, would that result in nearly the same performance with Direct3D on Windows?

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
    The picture says it clearly: will be cross-platform so it isnt now and we dont know when it will be.
    I don't see how you come to the conclusion that "will be cross plattform" implies that it is not already cross platform. The game engines mentioned in the Techspot article are under development for all target platforms already, how can they develop without the API?

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
    Since MS is main Mantle supporter they will make sure that Linux implementation will be delayed be lengthy "legal" review in AMD just like we saw in PM UVD case.
    Do you have reference or evidence for your claim that Microsoft caused delays for PM or UVD legal review? The company who has most to lose from Mantle is Microsoft, as it may reduce the importance of DirectX in 3D gaming.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    I really hope that's just a codename and not the final model name/number. Is that supposed to be like RadeonHD 9000 with another arbitrary number tacked on the end?
    Yea, the name is just silly. At lest "Titan" is readable...

Leave a comment:

• Figueiredo
    replied
    John Carmack seems to think mantle could give the steambox a boost. link

Thus, he migh know something we don't about linux availability.

Overall, mantle does not seem to be as bad as people paint it to be. It's main objective seems to be allowing the porting of highly optmized console titles (which are already coded for the console version of mantle anyway) to PCs with AMD GCN hardware. The titles would still require the porting to Direct X/Open GL in order to support previous gen AMD hardware/nvidia and intel, so not much change there.
    Last edited by Figueiredo; 26 September 2013, 12:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ramiliez
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Mantle API will be open, but that doesn't mean that Mantle is an open standard. I don't think that an open standard would accommodate AMD's goal here, giving developers the ability to program close to the hardware.

Windows-only? You are simply stating an uninformed opinion.
    The picture says it clearly: will be cross-platform so it isnt now and we dont know when it will be. Since MS is main Mantle supporter they will make sure that Linux implementation will be delayed be lengthy "legal" review in AMD just like we saw in PM UVD case.
    One of main reasons why Valve started to support Linux because it can optimized just like consoles. Now you see how Mantle fits in?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X