No announcement yet.

AMD Announces The Radeon R9 290X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But we already have open standards for that, they are called ... gasp ... OpenGL and OpenCL.

Epic fail, AMD, yet another shitty Windows-only 'standard' - 20 years of M$ pissing and sabotaging every single kind of standard they could get their hands on gives us an idea where this is going ...

That piece of shit A10-6800K that I bought last week that barely works with fglrx beta in any real 3D workload ( as oppose to community-modded Quake 3 engines from the PTS ) is proof of what to expect from these new cards : cool hardware engineers who skipped the chapter where it was explained that hardware is useless without the software. 'The Most Powerful GPU Yet' that, most likely, will have shader corruption in TF2 ...

They can't make a decent linux driver no matter how much they try, but they lauch yet another new 'standard' API for Windows ... Geez, next year this APU flies to my mom or one of my cousins it is Haswell+Nvidia for me.

Comment

When will there be R9 290x driver support?
      Would it already work with Cat 18.8beta or kernel 3.11+Mesa?

Comment

"We've been told at the GPU14 Tech Day event that the Mantle API is open, so theoretically Nvidia could purpose the technology in their GPUs. It should also make cross-development between PC and console games a lot easier, and also more incredible for those with a high-performance AMD GPU."

At AMD's GPU14 Tech Day event in Hawaii, alongside the brand new Radeon R9 290X GPU, the company has also unveiled a new development model called 'Mantle'....

"According to AMD/EA, Mantle will be replacing DirectX 11 and since it is designed to work with the low-level hardware, it will improve pretty much all aspects of the title. From what we gather, the Mantle API is also open, so theoretically NVIDIA could use the technology in their GPUs if they wanted to do so. "

Last edited by mmstick; 26 September 2013, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agross View Post
          But we already have open standards for that, they are called ... gasp ... OpenGL and OpenCL.

Epic fail, AMD, yet another shitty Windows-only 'standard' - 20 years of M$ pissing and sabotaging every single kind of standard they could get their hands on gives us an idea where this is going ...

That piece of shit A10-6800K that I bought last week that barely works with fglrx beta in any real 3D workload ( as oppose to community-modded Quake 3 engines from the PTS ) is proof of what to expect from these new cards : cool hardware engineers who skipped the chapter where it was explained that hardware is useless without the software. 'The Most Powerful GPU Yet' that, most likely, will have shader corruption in TF2 ...

They can't make a decent linux driver no matter how much they try, but they lauch yet another new 'standard' API for Windows ... Geez, next year this APU flies to my mom or one of my cousins it is Haswell+Nvidia for me.
          Stop your whining and complaining like an immature brat and get an attention span for once in your life. Mantle is a cross-platform open API for consoles, Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, etc. It gives a common unified codebase that all OSs can share and provides better optimization and performance than calling DirectX or OpenGL directly. What's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            Stop your whining and complaining like an immature brat and get an attention span for once in your life. Mantle is a cross-platform open API for consoles, Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, etc. It gives a common unified codebase that all OSs can share and provides better optimization and performance than calling DirectX or OpenGL directly. What's not to like?
            Sounds great indeed.
            However, this can only be a good thing if Mantle will also be supported on different platforms.
            Will Linux Catalyst support it? If so: when? And why wasn't it mentioned?

I really hope AMD will be more specific about that at the announced developer conference in November.
            Last edited by entropy; 26 September 2013, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Obviously, it wouldn't be a cross-platform API that runs on consoles/Windows/Linux/MacOSX if it didn't support all these platforms. Asking if Catalyst will support it on Linux is rather silly, since the answer is equally obvious. Specifics aren't mentioned because they aren't ready to talk about it yet.

Comment

@mmstick

Yes, name-calling over internet posts . Guess I should respect your fucking authority now, Cartman ?

I'm not 'whining' I'm posting my experience with AMD products. If that happens to suck, it is because AMD's products suck.
                How about you give me my money back, I give you the piss of shit APU, the piss of shit Trinity Laptop and the pieces of shit Radeon cards that I've bough and, then, I'll stop 'whining'.
                I payed good money for AMD products that's don't work. Are you an AMD employee engaged in marketing propaganda to defend their interests here ?

I'm 'whining' because I purchased many AMD products and there is still an unsatisfactory ( to put it politely ) level of software support from AMD. They can't put together a driver for their product but now they jump-start a completely different 'standard' ?

OpenGL and OpenCL are industry-wide. Multiple, independent parties come together, debate and reach a consensus that benefits everybody. How many independent parties contributed to this Windows only crap ? Who provided the specifications, requirements and the like ? Lemme guess ? AMD, consulting M$ ?

Unlike you, I have an attention span and I can factor into account more than a piss-poor PR announcement : I take into account the ACTUAL BEHAVIORAL HISTORY of AMD in relation to their non-Windows drivers and of MICROSOFT in relation to any kind of standardization efforts. Like a voluntary north-koreean, ou take any PR release from AMD as some unquestionable universal truth. History tells a different story :

To the point : While AMD, on paper, releases cross-platform drivers, the FACT is that they linux drivers are nowhere near the level of their Windows drivers. Want to bet the house that, by the time "ZOMG Radeon 550X" appears with 320967895089537 shading units, this new windows-only 'standard' will have a half-assed support on Linux for AMD ? Like it is today with their previous generations of hardware ? My APU has a 6xxx-level iGPU in it and it still isn't working anything close to the Windows driver ( or Nvidia's linux driver ), which is funny, considering that the architecture in this iGPU is, what ... 3 years old ? This is the fucking level of support I came to expect from AMD and this is the level of support I expect from this new 'standard'.

This is AMD's attempt at a CUDA. You don't make obscene profit by working together with others to find common solutions to common problems that benefit everybody ( OpenGL/OpenCL ), you make an 'open' standard that you only implement for you billionare monopolistical fuck-buddy's OS, on your own hardware and the rest can eat fucking cake. Seriously, Electronic fArts makes a 'standard' and you take them seriously ? Another abject, monopolistic, greedy corporation that does everyting it can to fuck you in the ass and rip you off, teams with AMD for a GPU API and that is good news ? How many games did EA release on Linux ? On Mac ?

How much effort has been put into the open drivers for OpenGL and OpenCL support ? What is the rate of progress of incorporating these features into Radeon/Nouvueau ? Does anyone really think this utterly new standard that AMD and some other cretins pulled out of their asses over night, without consulting everyone, who's only 'reference implementation' will be a proprietary, closed-source, windows-only driver will somehow make it into the Linux open ( or closed ) stack ?
                Did their PROVEN TRACK RECORD indicate that we can expect anything else than what we have today with fglrx vs windows-driver ?

UN-fucking-believable ! Valve announces an open Linux-based OS for gaming and future open hardware 'console' ( for all practical purposes ) and the, AMD announces it teams up with Microsoft and EA ( both the antitheses of openness and the like ) to deliver a new, completely different API for they GPU. The contrast couldn't be any starker.

The amount of moronic, fanatical, defending of AMD here is just astounding !
                Last edited by Agross; 26 September 2013, 05:07 AM.

Comment

And it is using HLSL for shaders, making it incompatible with OpenGL/WebGL. I guess it is some bastardized DirectX11 variant. Well done AMD suckers.

PS: I wonder how low-level it is, how it would be affected by GPU architecture changes, or how well it maps to non AMD GPUs (or future AMD GPUs, beyond GCN I mean)?

Comment

Mantle is a cross-platform open API for consoles, Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, etc. It gives a common unified codebase that all OSs can share and provides better optimization and performance than calling DirectX or OpenGL directly. What's not to like?
                    XvBA was the Linux equivalent of DirectX Video Acceleration, and it's technically cross-platform, but it took years for AMD to release the SDK and for a program (XBMC) to actually use it. Mantle could be just as "cross-platform" as XvBA...

Comment

Originally posted by Agross View Post
                      @mmstick
                      <tl;dr>
                      Bwahaha! Seems I upset the children. So much incessant whining and crying like an immature spoiled child that there's no point in reading it.

Comment

Working...
                      X