No announcement yet.

AMD Gallium3D & Catalyst Drivers Compete Against Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems an only sane choice for Linux gamers is nvidia.

Comment

At least for me CKII over Steam have problems with rendering water on r600g.

But on r600g with SB backend everything works ok (and even have less tearing compared to Catalyst).

Shame that it was not included

(Also Wine and Catalyst hate each other, how one could test some game over Wine to compare Catalys+Wine, r600g+Wine, and Win?)

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
        Left 4 dead 2 and latests mesa drivers, kernel 3.11 and kde 4.11, at 1600 x 900, high details, the game run so smooth

What kind of HW?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

News article: http://silicon-news.com/news/2012/06/17/linus-torvalds-nvidia-fuck-you/Linus Torvalds reveals his true feelings for Nvidia.

Comment

Really nice, slowly the open source drivers are getting somewhere. I still clearly remember benchmarks where the _highest_ score for the OSS drivers was at 10% the proprietary ones, not most cases actually start to look pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
              archlinux , kde 4.11 and lastes radeon drivers and mesa..., INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE 8D, so smoooth!!, with and without uvd , flash fine and no tearing WOW!
              But what is the trick in Arch? Is it only by using the latest versions of the drivers? Or is it something else?

It is good news the good performance of OpenSource drivers. It is a step forward for AMD to focus only on the radeon driver and forget fglrx. It makes no sense for AMD to some things be recommended "radeon" drivers and for other things to recommend the "fglrx" drivers. Now they have to work on better OpenCL OpenSource implementation.
              Last edited by YAFU; 03 August 2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                No. The radeon driver is evolving quickly, and is enough for a lot of games today.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
                  But what is the trick in Arch? Is it only by using the latest versions of the drivers? Or is it something else?

It is good news the good performance of OpenSource drivers. It is a step forward for AMD to focus only on the radeon driver and forget fglrx. It makes no sense for AMD to some things be recommended "radeon" drivers and for other things to recommend the "fglrx" drivers. Now they have to work on better OpenCL OpenSource implementation.
                  I don't know really, but the game is very playable, apu a8 5600k.

Comment

Source games work fine for me on my HD6850 running xorg edgers. Can even run the enhanced graphics/texture Doom 3 mods out there. I don't have anything newer than 2005 games that I care to run under WINE, but the little I have does run fine.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post

well arch is a rolling distro that helps since you get new version of everything 24h after upstream release instead of wait for cycle freezes to end to upgrade, in some cases give you perf advantages that won't reach cycled distros like ubuntu until next major releases, arch always uses latest gcc which can bring additional improvements depending the release, systemd in arch is very well fine tuned oob so you gain some resources and less I/O/ram compared to other init managers.

in this case the biggest advantage is getting latest of version of drivers[lcarlier pkgbuild] and all depending libraries [arch rolling advantage] + KDE latest improvements, make your system silky smooth

Comment

Working...
                      X