Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon, NVIDIA GeForce Linux Comparison For July 2013

Phoronix: AMD Radeon, NVIDIA GeForce Linux Comparison For July 2013

At the request of many Phoronix readers, the Linux performance benchmarks to share with you today are the results for an OpenGL performance comparison between a dozen different AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards on their latest proprietary graphics drivers when running a slew of Linux games, including Valve's Team Fortress 2 benchmark, Unvanquished on its OpenGL 3.x renderer, and the new GpuTest workloads.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That GTX 680 is a beast.

Comment

1) I think there is something wrong with TF2 and GTX 460. I have the same GPU and i can play 60FPS average maxed-out (vblank on) @1366x768 (Ubuntu 12.04).
      I know that there is a huge gap between the resolution you benchmarked it but it is enough powerful GPU to handle this.

2) For reference i managed to get 9FPS average on my old (Xubuntu 13.04) multimedia-PC (Athlon X2 3600+ @2.6Ghz - Radeon 2600PRO 512mb - 1GB RAM DDR2) @1920x1080! http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...UT-TEAMFORT219

3) I really hope Radeon 4000 series and below will be supported better (on terms of performance in games) now that they have been abandoned from the closed drivers (thats a wish) and the open drivers are the only choice. Of course DPM was the most important feature missing but i can't stop dreaming a better optimization and why not a modern "settings GUI".

4) In my multimedia-pc i can not run the GPU test. I get an architecture (i686) not supported message. for system specifications see 2nd paragraph.
      Last edited by verde; 23 July 2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

What was the reason for using 304.88 NVIDIA drivers? Were they the default ones installed in Ubuntu 13.10?

Which, if so, leads to my next question... why are Ubuntu video drivers so far behind?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          What was the reason for using 304.88 NVIDIA drivers? Were they the default ones installed in Ubuntu 13.10?

Which, if so, leads to my next question... why are Ubuntu video drivers so far behind?
          They are rock-stable. Thats why.

The real question is why not 310.14 (experimental claimed by Ubuntu). Steam strongly-suggests them for Nvidia cards.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
            Steam strongly-suggests them for Nvidia cards.
            Steam also tells me I need to update my drivers and I got that message with both 319.32 and 325.08 drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
              Steam also tells me I need to update my drivers and I got that message with both 319.32 and 325.08 drivers.
              still that doesn't mean that its better to use 304 series drivers. Thats probably a bug and you can fill a bug report here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                still that doesn't mean that its better to use 304 series drivers. Thats probably a bug and you can fill a bug report here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux
                Steam does the same thing to me on Windows as well, lol.

Also, if it's anything like Windows, a lot of cards probably have issues with 31X branch, just as a lot of cards on Windows (via GeForce forums) are having issues with the current 320 branch.

Comment

Originally posted by verde
                  They are rock-stable. Thats why.

The real question is why not 310.14 ("experimental" claimed by "Ubuntu additional drivers"). Steam suggests them for Nvidia cards.
                  they are so Stable you can see users all day long asking how to fix them..... all over forum's and only 99% of them are Ubuntu Users. Ubuntu's Driver installs are Crap Terminal Install>Ubuntu install's any day of the week

i say Laziness is why them Drivers are so far out of date and on top of that the newer Drivers have bug fixes.... (oh look Ubuntu 13.04 release well off to the Canonical Graveyard with you and off the next project remember the 9mo's of Support... AkA EOL)

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    they are so Stable you can see users all day long asking how to fix them..... all over forum's and only 99% of them are Ubuntu Users. Ubuntu's Driver installs are Crap Terminal Install>Ubuntu install's any day of the week

i say Laziness is why them Drivers are so far out of date and on top of that the newer Drivers have bug fixes.... (oh look Ubuntu 13.04 release well off to the Canonical Graveyard with you and off the next project remember the 9mo's of Support... AkA EOL)
                    ok

Comment

Working...
                    X