Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://phoronix.com/forums/member.php?1-Michael

First thanks for article

Very good article, opensource vs privative drivers comparative in all brands its really neccesary for all users on linux

But i suggest if you have test wine in all brands used in opensource vs privative drivers comparative is really neccesary and could give users some information about actual wine state in different brands hardware (AMD/INTEL/NVIDIA)

And you could test games with different engines:

Assasins Creed - Call of Duty - Unreal 3 - Farcry and many others

If you have test actual app state on wine could entry on wineappdb

Thanks for your attention

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
      Guys is it me or it is obvious in all tests, even if they are old games,
      that Radeon HD 7xxx cards are performing noticeably worse than the older Radeons even with Catalyst running??
      Well spot. :/
      I didn't noticed that, tbh.

Bought a 7950 some month ago and I'm bound to Catalyst, since the radeonsi driver is simply not ready yet performance-wise.
      However, Catalyst is doing a really good job for now (apart from the relative performance to older ASICs).

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
      Well, I'd take a guess that the hardware is very different (warranting a complete new radeonsi driver)
      => even catalysts lacks some optimizations. But that's only a guess.
      Well, you can *buy* GCN ASICs for more than 1.5 years by now.
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the big deals with GCN that it should be
      much easier to write shader compilers for it than it was the case for the previous VLIW architectures?

Edit: I'm only referring to the Catalyst drivers here.
      Last edited by entropy; 08 July 2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
        STC texture compression expires at 2015 and has expired at some countries at this moment.
        There are packages for installing STC2 as Steam games does not work with pure open source drivers.
        There must be results between the open source and the proprietary driver. And it will be good to know how much this can help the open source drivers performance.
        Are you talking about S3TC/DXTn/BC[1-5]? I believe the patent was filed in 1997 which should bring its expiration date to 2017 (20 years after filing).

Some opensource drivers *do* work with these compression schemes, but must be enabled/configured after-the-fact. Definitely sub-optimal but at least it is something.

What is STC2?

Comment

Wow the Radeon open source drivers are actually catching up to the catalyst proprietary drivers. The difference is not so great anymore. Everything above the HD 6870 is still not being fully taken advantage of in Linux, they should be yeilding a much higher FPS all round if you compare them to Windows results.

NVIDIA open source drivers...what a joke! No fault to the programmers, NVIDIA doesn't want to be open it seems... At least with the proprietary drivers, NVIDIA offers the best performance and best bang for the buck. Wish it was open source.... but I can't argue with the highest FPS yield, open or not!

Comment

Originally posted by eberan View Post

What is STC2?
            S/he means s2tc:
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

radeon/nvidia

intel opensource works really well for me with s3tc install, video decoding too.

i give up from older laptop woth hybrid amd/intel because the fglrx, i want see amd give up closed source and do like intel.

nvidia closed drivers works really well, only needs official optimus support. bumblebee is a great project but is not the same of windows optimus support

Comment

I'm now using Radeon over Catalyst in my E-450 powered netbook, with Fedora 19 (the very latest code, as seen on Phoronix). It's generally faster than Catalyst*, KWin 4.11 works better than ever (with NO TEARING!), the new OpenGL 3.1 compositing engine works like a charm, performance is more than acceptable and the only two things that are lacking (UVD decoding and power management) will be addressed in Linux 3.10 and Linux 3.11. Screen brightness and hardware keys are fully supported and working, something I can't say about Windows 8.

*: Watching movies and playing games is faster with Catalyst. Everything else is faster with Radeon, including max/minimizing windows, desktop effects, surfing the Web, playing Candy Crush, LibreOffice, and whatnot.
                Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 08 July 2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

The low-end discrepancy continues: for 6450 cat/open average is 1.8, for 5830 and 6870 it's 1.4.

Looking forward to the promised SB tests, to see if that changes the low-end situation.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                    A huge source of this problem is the people that continue to recommend catalyst drivers for ATI to improve performance.

If they would just give up and realize that Catalyst drivers suck, always have sucked, and always going to continue to suck and completely disregard them as a possibility then it would make things massively easier for new Linux users to understand.

Instead new users come to places like this and are told that if they want good performance for ATI to install the drivers and they have to struggle through the 'Catalyst is shit' learning curve until they give up and use open source drivers, go back to Windows, or just go out and buy a Nvidia card.
                    This post is extremely well put. I couldn't possibly agree with you more. I'm in complete agreement with you.

Comment

And this tells us almost nothing we didn't already know.

If you want the fastest GPU with fully Open Source drivers get an HD6870 or HD5870. The 6900 series GPUs are faster but the older VLIW5 GPUs have better support then the newer VLIW4 GPUs. The HD6870 is basically an HD5870 with better tessellation but lacking double precision OpenCL support.

Comment

Working...
                      X