No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon HD 8670D Preview On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DDR3 1066Mhz on these chips? Are you out of your mind Larabel? The 5800K is designed to have ram run at 1866Mhz and the 6800K is designed to have the ram running at 2133Mhz. Running them at 1066Mhz severely neuters their performance because the CPU and GPU share the same memory bus and the GPU is thus constantly bottlenecked by the ram speed.

Furthermore the APU GPU performance scales linearly with the system ram speed right on up through 3Ghz DDR3.

But then what should we expect from the crappiest reviewer on the internet? The lame ass know nothing shills at Tom's Hardware couldn't be worse if they wanted to!

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
      Will Iris 5000 serious iGPU be available on DIY market? Last time I heard that is restricted to OEM supply.
      Last I checked only OEM or on boards that have the CPU soldered in place. And only the Iris Pro 5200 has the eDram that would give it an edge over the 8670D when paired with proper ram. All other Intel GPUs will fall short or barely match it.

Though as I've stated before, if you can wait for Kaveri this fall/winter, it should have a GPU in the same class as the HD7750 since it's also supposed to GDDR5 vRam as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        DDR3 1066Mhz on these chips? Are you out of your mind Larabel? The 5800K is designed to have ram run at 1866Mhz and the 6800K is designed to have the ram running at 2133Mhz. Running them at 1066Mhz severely neuters their performance because the CPU and GPU share the same memory bus and the GPU is thus constantly bottlenecked by the ram speed.

Furthermore the APU GPU performance scales linearly with the system ram speed right on up through 3Ghz DDR3.

But then what should we expect from the crappiest reviewer on the internet? The lame ass know nothing shills at Tom's Hardware couldn't be worse if they wanted to!
        I agree with you about RAM speed. It's OBVIOUS that APU's need faster RAM. The same is not true for Intel APU's becouse the on die northbridge is bottlenecked so faster RAM doesnt make a big difference, but for AMD APU's it makes a huge difference.

Thanks for pointing that out. I would have, but I'm pretty sure I already used up my last brownie points.

Comment

1066 Mhz is DDR3 2133,

DDR3 1066 would be 533 Mhz

Comment

Working...
          X