AMD Catalyst vs. NVIDIA OpenCL Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    Gaming works? Since when? My Radeon HD 7950 still has problems rendering a desktop properly; games on Steam, especially Valve's Source games, are all unplayable with serious glitches; games on Wine have horrible framerates and glitches as well.

I'm waiting on Catalyst 13.7 to see if there is an improvement.
    I have to admit, i am not trully a linux user, but i have a dual boot on my desktop to ubuntu 13.04 and i use mainly xubuntu on a intel atom N270!

I am completely enthusiastic with hardware, games and GPU, i always play on Windows, and think AMD is ok on windows.

Anyway it always had sucked on linux, and in less of half year, we had saw great driver improvements on open-source, and unfortunaly not so good improvements on closed source, i'm aware of the problems with the HD 7000 series, since i have one HD 7850, and i am aware of the problems.

I bet that open-source drivers will get better performance faster on kernel 3.11 than the closed source, i can see that AMD is starting to not give a sh** about closed source on linux and they are following to the open-source developement which is a good thing.

I know that nvidia have a rockin stable closed source drivers, but AMD never was something good on linux and its like a dream what they have been working out in the last months, we can't just close our eyes to that.
    Too bad that HD 7000 stills this way, but since they talked about to start to support the HD 8000, then HD 7000 will be equally well suported since its GNC.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      I don't know what you are missing from the drivers, but:
      S3 aka suspend to ram works
      gaming works
      opencl is fast.

What else do you want?

Oh yes, one company supports opensource development
      One company hinders opensource development

Pretty much a nobrainer that AMD is the card one should buy.
      full blown video acceleration and extended audio formats over hdmi. (no, ati is here still behind nvidia, and actually also behind intel who came into the party muczh much later).

i which i could use ati/amd graphics on my linux but i can't due to missing features in the drivers. since more than a decade i am still forced to stick to nvidia for linux, not because i want, but because ati still is way behind nvidia regarding many things.

true, ati/amd has also it's advantages. true, they improved much in the last few years.

but if you ask "what else du you want?" i must tell you tehre is still A LOT left which hinders a lot of people of using ati/amd cards, not to mention that both, ati/amd AND nvidia still suck regarding their support on linux compared to.. we know compared to what.

sure, regarding market share i can understand it... some how. but it could've been far better with less ressources needed than they actually have invested in over a decade.

Comment

Gaming works? Since when? My Radeon HD 7950 still has problems rendering a desktop properly; games on Steam, especially Valve's Source games, are all unplayable with serious glitches; games on Wine have horrible framerates and glitches as well.

ATI/MAD drivers attack again

Yes ATI/MAD drivers have updates in last year but compared with NVIDIA privative drivers seems so poorly

And not talk about ATI/MAD Radeon HD2xxx and HD4xxx ship to legacy support meanwhile NVIDIA supports Geforce 8 and upper in your lastest drivers, this situation on my case cause ATI/MAD trust lost

Comment

Benchmark bitcoin mining

Results could be even more epic if we'll behchmark bircoins mining . It could happen $150 AMD GPU will outperform Tesla while consuming much less power .

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            I don't know what you are missing from the drivers, but:
            S3 aka suspend to ram works
            gaming works
            opencl is fast.

What else do you want?

Oh yes, one company supports opensource development
            One company hinders opensource development

Pretty much a nobrainer that AMD is the card one should buy.
            Oh, that's an attemp at a joke right ?

AMD drivers are poor in stability and CONSISTENCY. Bugs that were fixed do appear again randomly in new releases. Things stop working for no apparent reason (I get no VTs on my system with any catalyst past 13.1). Full blown video acceleration is missing (there are parts working at times). Wine compatibility is a separate chapter.

And I have a Radeon HD5830 in my PC, considering switching to Nvidia just to get Wine and video accell working properly.

Comment

And absolutely no one use LuxMark to renders real scenes and work, very cool.
              So if you want to see real use , use the real scene and LuxRender + OpenCL.Or Blender+Cycles for power of nvidia

Comment

I wasn't aware that Source games (like Portal and the HL2 games) didn't work on fglrx. I swear I played through them on my HD 7770 and thoroughly enjoying every second of it. I also didn't notice that composition on my KDE desktop is broken either.

PS: Try disabling Cayalyst A.I in the Catalyst Control Center, it gets rid of many of the little niggly issues in Wine games for me.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  I wasn't aware that Source games (like Portal and the HL2 games) didn't work on fglrx. I swear I played through them on my HD 7770 and thoroughly enjoying every second of it. I also didn't notice that composition on my KDE desktop is broken either.

PS: Try disabling Cayalyst A.I in the Catalyst Control Center, it gets rid of many of the little niggly issues in Wine games for me.
                  I didn't have AI enabled to begin with. It's well known that GCN drivers are completely shot on both fglrx and xorg drivers; just take a trip over to Valve's Steam For Linux github. You can even see the last benchmark performed here on Phoronix comparing how horrible the performance of HD 7000 cards are to older cards. My HD 6850 runs circles around my HD 7950 without even trying. The only thing on GCN that works is the compute capabilities in OpenCL; everything else is broken.

Comment

I didn't have AI enabled to begin with. It's well known that GCN drivers are completely shot on both fglrx and xorg drivers; just take a trip over to Valve's Steam For Linux github. You can even see the last benchmark performed here on Phoronix comparing how horrible the performance of HD 7000 cards are to older cards. My HD 6850 runs circles around my HD 7950 without even trying. The only thing on GCN that works is the compute capabilities in OpenCL; everything else is broken.
                    The opensource drivers for GCN is definitely not quite there yet, but the fglrx drivers are pretty much the same.

Interesting that the only thing working is OpenCL, when I have multi-monitor hot-plugging working perfectly (better than all my colleagues running windows or macos), power management works, video acceleration in VLC seems to work nicely too, I played almost all the double-fine games (brutal legend, the cave, costume quest), and Valve games (portal, hl2-series), along with Oil Rush and Serious Sam 3, anything that uses Unity, and they all worked quite nicely too.

I'm not saying it is perfect, not even close, but it isn't nearly the disaster you try to paint.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                      The opensource drivers for GCN is definitely not quite there yet, but the fglrx drivers are pretty much the same.

Interesting that the only thing working is OpenCL, when I have multi-monitor hot-plugging working perfectly (better than all my colleagues running windows or macos), power management works, video acceleration in VLC seems to work nicely too, I played almost all the double-fine games (brutal legend, the cave, costume quest), and Valve games (portal, hl2-series), along with Oil Rush and Serious Sam 3, anything that uses Unity, and they all worked quite nicely too.

I'm not saying it is perfect, not even close, but it isn't nearly the disaster you try to paint.
                      I'm not painting anything other than the truth. I use Linux as a desktop and server OS. HL2 and Portal isn't very taxing; try playing TF2 and watch Radeon HD 7000 GPUs commit suicide. Serious Sam 3 doesn't work 'well' at all; it's many magnitudes slower than the drivers on Windows. Indie games don't need the full power of a Radeon HD 7950 nor do they use a lot of the complicated features that break in the drivers. Steam itself crashes quite a lot due to the fglrx drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X